Spain advice

N

not a clue

hi all

just wondering if i could get some advice, there are 5 of us (all late twenties/girls) thinking of going to spain for a week in july - flying from cork either into alicante or malaga and then renting a villa somewhere - hire a car of course - wondering if anyone has ever done this before or has any location or better still accomodation suggestions bearing in mind we would ideally love to be near the beach or have a private pool and near enough to a town with a bit of life but not exactly the high rise of the costa del sol - any advice would be appreciated!

not a clue said:
5 of us (all late twenties/girls) thinking of going to spain for a week in july - flying from cork either into alicante or malaga and then renting a villa somewhere - hire a car of course - wondering if anyone has ever done this before
It sounds completely unprecedented to me... ;)

Just kidding — welcome to AAM, not a clue. There are lots of existing threads on Spain; check out the Key Posts and try the search function. Also see www.andalusia.com for a good English-language introduction to the region. Personally I would avoid the Costa del sol and head over towards the Costa de la luz, especially in the summer months. Tarifa, Vejer, etc...

Buen viaje!

I've holidayed twice in Puerto Banus, which is about an hour from Malaga - in a couple and with a gang of friends - and have had a great time on both occasions.

There are good restaurants and nice bars in the town around the harbour and not too much of the 'Full English breakfast' type places. Given the popularity and amount of money in the area you'll pay a good bit for rental accommodation, but I'd recommend it.

You can easily make day trips to places like Rhonda and Gibraltar if you wish too!

Hola,

if your choices are to fly to Malaga or Alicante, both have nice places where you can drive to.

A general impression is that near Alicante is less built up than Malaga - I havnt stayed in Alicante itself, but in some small resorts to the north - Denia and Javea. They are pretty places, and the drive there between the mountains and coast is lovely. Its mainly spanish tourists which go there too.

Near Malaga there is certainly lots to do. You could stay in quieter town on the beach like Nerja or Torre del Mar if you didnt want to be in the thick of Malaga. Lots of day trip possibilities - e.g. to Ronda, Granada, Marbella.

As Dr M said, the Costa de la Luz is fab - deserted huge long beaches, authentic feel to the towns, not bult up atall, but getting there is a long drive from Malaga.

Maybe read up in a Rough Guide, to get more info on the places..

Any chance you could go in April or May? Aer Lingus have a seat sale for travel during these months - starting at €9e/w ex Cork.
Sale ends Thursday.

Check out.....
http://www.aerlingus.com

we went two years ago to girona you can fly shannon ryan air girona worth a night or two and then you could go to tossa da mar nice town bergur or la franc lots on these places on the net lovely part of spain

If you stay in the Malaga area be sure to visit Granada. It's nice to visit the "real" Spain & the Alhambra is spectacular.

Back