Space Saver tyres

L

Limouxin

I'm concerned to find that I don't have a real spare tyre in my 'new' 2007 Almera. I've read various articles suggesting that the limitations are quite acute. I travel a lot and often drive at night, so it may not be possible to get a puncture sorted out within 100kms.

To me there is more than adequate space in the wheel well for a real tyre and I think this argument by the garage is spurious.

Where do I stand? Is it safe to drive on one of these for a long distance?

Any suggestions?

I'm surprised TBH. I always thought Almeras had a full size spare - plenty of room in the big boot anyway. Is the garage maybe pulling a sneaky one and holding on to the wheel?

Maybe check a few Nissan sites and see what they say.

eh . . what's not safe about it? You just need to reduce your speed when using a space saver. If they weren't safe I don't think they'd be allowed to sell them in Europe.

(Unlikely but, any chance you're looking at the space saver and it says on the tyre 'Max 100km' and you're thinking that's referring to distance rather than what it's actually referring to, namely speed?)

... To me there is more than adequate space in the wheel well for a real tyre and I think this argument by the garage is spurious. ...
What did the garage say to you?

The space-saver is fine as long as you observe the speed restriction and have it properly inflated (check tyre for correct pressure).

If you want a full spare, you'll have to buy one. Some new cars don't have any spare, just a tin of Tyre-Weld!

My 01 Almera had a full size spare, the space in the boot was well big enough for one.

Don't know how true it is but I heard that the reason they didn't go with the full size was that the extra weight just tipped them over into the next emissions category...this could be an urban myth, but if I was paying that price for a car I'd want a full spare!!

OP, perhaps the garage swapped the tyre. Thats three car examples with full tyres in the boot, seems strange that yours wasnt.

Unless OP's car has alloys, in which case a cheap-skate space-saver is highly likely.

Back