Space between shower tray and wall

lastbuilders

Hi All,
My plumber has put in our shower tray and the opening is an awckward width of 970mm. He has put in a 900 tray but I have a space of 70 mm between the tray and the wall. The shower is closed on three sides. I have been advised by my plumber to build up the space with wood and my tiler has said he will put sand and cement there then and tile onto this at an angle to let water run into tray. Does this sound like a viable solution? This also means that I will have to use a 1000mm shower door which will go over the tray to the wall so the tiler will have to leave a space for the door at the bottom.
Can anyone think of any other solutions?
Plasterin is funished so I do not want to add 70mm to the wall floor to ceiling.
Lastbuilders

if the tiler tiles correctly then his option seems the best, gives you a nice big shower as well

Solution sounds pretty ok, I'd pack the space with polystyrene (or foam gap filler), stopping about 3" short from top of tray, then fill with sand/ cement. Mix should be as dry as possible to minimise shrinkage. Tiler should then tile over this. It might have looked better if the gap were divided up equally with 1 1/2" each side though...

Thanks for the responses.

After talking to the Bathroom suppliers they said I would have problems around the door with water leaking or even getting a door that is non standard to fit it so we are now thinking that we will add an extra bit where the door will be secured to bring it to the tray and fix the rest with the sand and cement to keep the extra space.
What do poeple think of this idea?

Lastbuilders

How will you add the extra bit- using timber? How will this be weathered/ sealed or finished? The more expensive shower door manufacturer's do off- standard doors or door kits which offer more adjustability to suit situations such as yours. I'd be inclined to price this option first. This is not the first time this problem has arisen for anyone....

The tiler said that studding just where the door is attached is asking for trouble down the line as it will not be strong enough so we are going to stud it all out to the tray. Better safe than sorry when it is on the first floor and water damage would be very nasty.

Lastbuilders

Have you considered using a 1000 wide tray and chasing the wall to accommodate the increased width. the thickness of the tray sides will enabe the tiler to get a good seal and the shower door can be fixed accross the full width of the tray

in houses shower trays are notorious for leaking down on bottom floor,, they need to be well and truely sealed all round, my son has a slight leak at the moment but will seal it all round with silicone fillers

Hi,
I have a similar issue to OP. Have a 1000mm shower tray with upto 1.25" of a gap on each side. This was filled with a dry sand/cement mix by the builder. Was looking at some of the tile/shower tray trims but they're not wide enough to cover the 1.25". Anyone know where I could purchase a length of thin L shaped pvc type profile to place around edge of tray thus covering the 1.25".
Thanks,
L

I had a similar issue when fitting my ensuite shower. My advice would be to fill the gaps with sand/cement and tile them. I did this and it has created a great little shelf for shapoos etc. Also it's a better finish than the PVC strips, which can look cheap if they are too big.

Thanks Colin. I guess the tiles would be flush with the top edge of the shower tray?

If the space is not filled yet, then get the thickness of the tile and measure how much cement will be needed to bring it flush. Otherwise bring the cement up flush and fit a trim around the tile. There are some nice chrome finish trims on the market.

The space is filled in but I might dig out the few mm I need to make the tile appear flush with edge of tray - will make fitting shower door easier if the surface is flat straight across. Thanks for your help.

Had a very similar issue in our en-suite. Gap is 1080, shower tray is 1000. Husband does the tiling in our house, and although he is very good at it, main concern was leakage too.

After 18 months, I decided that I hated the tiles in the shower cubicle and hubby hated the floor tiles - so we ripped off/up the lot, discovered at this point that water had been getting between the tile and the shower tray, (even though it was VERY well sealed with clear silicon.)

Our solution was to take out the tray completely, hubby tiled the base of the shower, bought a concrete lintel to go across the floor, (where the shower door sits) and tiled over that too. Only prep was to ensure that the base sloped toward the plughole. Nicer finish, no worry about leaks and the door sits lovely.

The best way to prevent a leak in this circumstance is to stud the wall out the required amount otherwise you are taking a risk of a leak in the future.