Southmede / Wyckham Apartment Prices (Dundrum)

WarrenBuffet

Just have been reading the Adamstown thread. On a similar vein i was interested in buying an apartment in one of these developments (built by same developer; Wyckham pretty much ready to move into; Southmede should be ready early summer).

Was shocked by the prices though:
One bedroom apartments range mainly in price from €395,000, two bedroom apartments mainly from €520,000 and three bedroom apartments range from €580,000. The penthouse apartments range in price from €625,000.

IMHO any saving you might make as regards stamp duty is being removed by the very high (dare i say it inflated) prices.

What is the living experience with these apts.

How is southmede progressing are purchasers happy with quality of finish ?

Irrespective of purchase price which admittedly is high is there a view on the longer term value proposition. ?

There in a very good area in some ways but the congestion on the luas at rush hour (or around it) is terrible already, the Dundrum area is bursting at the seams IMHO its like a city itself, no 2 bedroom apartment is worth anything like over €500000, crazy money I wouldn't be rushing to give that much money away/getting myself in that much debt

Dundrum is very in demand among young professionals. Apartment prices have sky rocketed. Prices in Southmede and Wyckham Place have shot up since the first phase. Theres a new development called Dundrum Point which is going to be launched over the next few months and I'd say prices will be high there. In fairness Dundrum is a very good location with the new town centre, the LUAS and the M50 on your doorstep. The market has set the prices there. The apartments wouldn't being selling unless lots of people wanted to buy them. But IMHO I do think that probably the main boom has already happened in Dundrum and prices probably won't rise as fast in the future. But they don't seem too expensive when you compare prices further down the LUAS line closer to town. A 2 bed ground floor c.775sqft in Mount Saint Annes, Milltown is asking €705k and I'd say prices in the final phase there will be mental.

colc1 said:
the congestion on the luas at rush hour (or around it) is terrible already
True, but I've never failed to get onto the tram at Balally, even at rush hour peak time. I does get pretty cramped as you move towards town, and passengers at other stations may not even get on the tram.

southsideboy said:
Dundrum is very in demand among young professionals. Apartment prices have sky rocketed.

A 2 bed ground floor c.775sqft in Mount Saint Annes, Milltown is asking €705k and I'd say prices in the final phase there will be mental.

I know exactly what you're saying I dont recognise many of the 'new locals' and what about €705K for a 2 bed wouldnt you want to be of your rocker, just for somewhere to live never mind the costs, even Tom Hanks or any other such millionaire actor would be foolish IMHO to part with such an amount to live in a block of apartments people have gone mad!

Where is Dundrum Point located vis a vis the above apts.

What was the linitial launch price for 2 bed apts in Southmede ?

For working in Stephens Green the luas would appear a better option than following a Dart location in that context have an option in Southmede for a 2 bed apt ... does it make sense ? Thanks.

[broken link removed] is on the right hand side as you head into Dundrum - just past Old Wesley

Many thanks for all your responses ..

Anybody out there who are purchasing or living in either of these developments ?

Sorry for lateness of message but I live at Wyckham Place and as with everywhere there are good points and bad points but overall we are very happy with our choice.

Having recently moved across from London, I was shocked by the Dublin prices and needed to be without striking distance of Dublin for my job.

We spent a good few months looking for a house in our chosen areas but kept drawing blanks as the houses either needed too much work, the price had already gone up way over the guideline price or the house was so small we could not justify paying the price.

So we switched our attention to apartments as they seemed to offer a better alternative (€100K cheaper too) and were immediately attracted to Dundrum as if Harvey Nichols and House of Fraser have done their research - that was good enough for us!

I did have concerns that we may have missed the boat in terms of the property hikes and that would miss any more by buying an apartment but when you consider that a similar development in Donnybrook is selling 2 bed apts for €880K+ then there should be more growth to come from Dundrum.

The apartments seem particularly well built and although we have a baby next door, we would never know. There are a great size (900 sq ft), come with a high standard of mod cons and after Dundrum point there isn't any room for apartment blocks that boast the same location.

All in all I'm happy to sacrifice a bit of growth for the ease with which we have moved in and have been making the apartment our own at a gentle pace, plus we of course have a lower mortgage.

Donnybrook is D4 dundrum is nowhere near the same as donnybrook.

Couldn't agree more.

Donnybrook is 15 mins walking distance to city centre (Stephens Green). Dundrum is 90 mins walking / up to 60 mins peak hour driving / 30 mins cycling / 20 mins LUAS.

No contest.

Many thanks.

Hope to move into Southmede shortly.

Will Dundrum Point stabilise prices in the dundrum area ??