South Side Schools

Great advice.

I feel for you, you are in a tough situation, its a big move and this must be making it more stressful.

If you end up with your daughter in a school that you are not satisfied with, you can try to get her a place in a different school for 2nd year. A lot of people move house and places do become available. Schools must keep up their enrollment numbers or they risk losing a teacher so they do welcome new pupils. This may sound like a lot of disruption for your daughter, but it may be a better option that sticking with a school for 5/6 years where you know the range of Leaving cert subjects is poor or the science or language department is not good etc.

Also, some people keep places in 2 schools and decide at the last minute and families do move at very short notice sometimes ( these days with the jobs market this is happening more and more)
Schools sometimes have places to offer right up to the day school starts.
Keep in touch with schools that you are interested in and ask about how long the waiting list is.

All is not lost. You will find a school place for your daughter and hopefully ( even if this takes a year), you find a school that you are happy with.

Thank you , its really so helpful having a forum like this. I have just received a mail from St Raphaels, they do have a waiting list but only a very small one and said I should submit a request

I have applied to Raphaelas, and I am now on a waiting list. And have a possible place in blackrock in rockford Manor. I have received three more refusals this week and so I decided to contact the site recommended by Orka , they have stated that each school off course has to take you if you are within the catchment area but!!! only if there is an availability .. I have been advised to perhaps put her my daughter back into sixth class.. I am somewhat nervous though as she is already in first year. They go to secondary school a year earlier here. Oh My the stress is building ..............