South East Spain - Villas, Granada, Alhambra etc..

Dinarius

Any advice to someone who'd like to visit south east Spain?

Ideally, we'd like to rent a villa with a pool and hire a car.

No interest in fighting with the German's for space on the beach everyday! ;-)

Art/culture would be a big part of any holiday for us.

Are there flight/villa/car hire package deals operated by anyone?

Any recommendations?

Many thanks.

D.

Hola,

"The Magic of Spain" organise villa and flight holidays.
They are fairly high end, but also have small villas for 2 people. I'm looking at the brochure as I write, and they have some gorgeous villas with pools in Nerja.

There are plently of lovely places to stay near the coast but which have an authentic feel, like Mijas for example. You would be close to Granada, the Alpujarras mountains, Malaga, Ronda etc. Note - to visit the Alhambra Palace, you'll need to book tickets in advance.

ragazza said:
To visit the Alhambra Palace, you'll need to book tickets in advance.

That's partly true, not only because you might be left without a ticket, but also to avoid the queues outside. You'll need a full day to visit the Alhambra.

Seville is the most beautiful city in the world, there is an old part, a new part and a part where they held an international expo (so an international section as well) and the people are lovely. If staying there may I recommed the old quarter but book your hotel on the net as they can be a lot more expensive if done there. The Alhambra is amazing, sorry breathtaking is a better word if you love culture and history. Tangiers in Africa is available for the day if you are based in the Costa del Sol but if you are bothered by poverty don't go as the clash of richness on the outskirts against the poverty on the inside disturbed me. I thought going to Gibraltar was a waste of time as we spent alot of time getting through customs and there isn't that much to see. Have a great time

Have been to most of the Costa el Sol over the last 25 years ,but have to say I find Nerja one of the most pleasant towns there,small but prity

Qawra said:
Seville is the most beautiful city in the world, there is an old part, a new part and a part where they held an international expo (so an international section as well) and the people are lovely.

Well, while Seville is a beautiful city, I won't say it's the most beautiful one. I was there during the Expo '92 , June and even for me temperatures there can be too much. That's why in Spain it's call the "Frying Pan of Spain", reaching over 40 most of the summer months. Saying that a soccer match had to be cancelled yesterday due to heavy rain.
No matter where in the South of Spain you decide to go, avoid August, as it's usually the warmest month and full of turist (Spaniards inclusive). Enjoy!