South East Asia

RockSolid

Hi All,

I'm visiting South East Asia for 2 Months in May Backpacking .

Was wondering if you could make any suggestions as to what to see/do? We are flying into Bangkok and out of Singapore.

We plan to go to Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, and Laos! What are the must sees from experience and what is the best route to take.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Rocksolid

In Vietnam we did Hanoi, Hue, Hoi An and Ho Chi Minh. Plenty to see in all 4. Didn't like Hue but it's history is second to none, it's the Imperial capital of Vietnam. Scenery wise it was fab but not the most modern of towns, think grey and Russian boxes...

Hoi An is a world heritage town but also a cool place to hang out for a few days.

Make sure you go to the Cu Chi tunnels outside HCM, it's amazing how these helped the Viet Cong "win" the war. There's also a couple of firing ranges on site, for $1 a bullet you can fire anything from a handgun to an AK-47. I went for the AK-47, when are you going to get a chance to legally shoot one of them?? A tip is bring your airplane earplugs for under the ear defenders they give you, you'll need them.

Some of my favourite things in Bangkok were the smaller palaces, Jim Thompson's House and the Zoo.

Can't help on Cambodia or Laos I'm afraid. Have you checked out the fora over on ?

Back