South Circular Road/Dolphins Barn

J

jameswhe

Hi,

Just wondering if any of you know what that neighbourhood is like?

I was looking at property at the sth circular road/dolphins barn junction - on a quiet (daytime) narrow sidestreet - forms a triangle with sth circular and dolphins barn.

Greatly appreciate any feedback,
James

Hi James,

Welcome to AAM.

If you use the search option in this forum taking into account you should find a few previous AAM threads on Dolphin's Barn, Cork Street and possibly Sth. Circular Road.

JohnnyBoy said:
r u familiar with Dublin?

Hi JohnnyBoy,

Yes I have rented around the rathmines/ranelagh area for the last few years, but dont know much about this area.

James

Hi jameswhe,

I have lived in the crumlin/kimmage area and worked around the dolphins barn/SCR area for years so I travel between the two regularly at peak traffic times. OVerall, I'm sure there are loads of opinions out there but I love SCR/Dolphins Barn...for the few rough (ish) areas there are there are an equally nice number of lovely areas. For the advantage of the location and closeness to town, I would totally find the negatives a minority...

On the other hand, I dont have children to consider so schools etc. isn't an issue..

Best thing you can do is drive around the area yourself at different times and see what you think....Wish I could be more help.......

I'm from Cork,but I wondered whether u knew Dublin at all.All I can say is that Dolphins Barn in national press has a poor reputation(whether fair or not I don't know)

I think that you might mean Rehoboth Place? If so, then it seems a really nice little street. And beside one of my favourite D8 pubs, Lowe's.

As has been said here before, there are some dodgy patches in the city centre, but there are far more decent places, and that as long as you keep your eyes open you should have a great experience.

When people refer to Dolphin's Barn they generally mean the Dolphin's Barn flats - which have a lovely location looking onto the canal, but have been the epicentre of much social deprivation. But that's not to say that the entire area suffers from similar problems.

If you're interested in a nice period house in a central location, and don't mind living in a socially mixed area, then go for it.

Back