South American trip

Hatchetman

My Partner and I are thinking of honeymooning in South America in July/August and I'm wondering if the following is a bit too much for around 17 or 18 days. Dublin to Paris then to Rio for 4 days, on to Iguazu falls for 2 days followed by 4 days in Buenos Aires. Next is a flight to Lima and stay there for 3 days then on to Cusco and do Machu Pichu for around 3 days then return to Lima and get the flight to Amsterdam and then home to Ireland. The longest internal flight is around 5 hours (BA to Lima) Has anyone ever done something similar and whats your experience, is it worth it, not to mention the cost, or should we leave out a bit of the air travel.

Why leave out Lima? You cant get to Cusco via Buenos Aires without going to Lima first. Is my trip a little bit too whistle stop or what? What about the weather? Am I right in saying that Peru and Rio will be perfect for Paddys in early August less so Iguazu and BA, cold and wet, thanks.

Its much too ‘whistle stop’ you’ll arrive in BA and wish you never have to leave, Rio is nice but be wary, Iguazu falls were the highlight of all my travels. A nice trip from BA is ferry across to Colonia del Sacramento in Uruagary-only an hour on the ferry, one of the prettiest places in south america.

You’ll be heading over during the South American winter…

I wouldn't do 3 days in lime.. it's the worst city i've ever been too! it's dirty, messy and the only semi decent ares have been created specifically for tourists and comprise of shopping malls with no personality. We spent three days there and I have never hated anywhere as much. I completely loved the rest of south america. One day is enough in lima and then head straight to cuzco. Lima is a kip!

Dont do Lima or Macchiu Picchiu. I have been to all those places and it is far too much. If you wanted to fit in something extra to Rio, Iguazu and BA , maybe head to Florinapolis in Brazil or Montevideo which is near BA. No point going across the continent. Personnally i think you need at least a week in BA and Rio each and 2 days in Iguazu. Peru is a bit rough too and dont talk to me about scary bus rides in the Andes, even thinking about it again scares me.

Its your honeymoon - shouldnt you go to one place and stay there to be together, if you know what I mean ;-) - You will spend most of this trip on a plane, jetlagged etc.
Then do the trip you describe above next year?

Do it all, Ive been to all those places and more at the time and I'm glad i did so much then coz when the little ones come you ain't going no where near south America for a long long long time ;) seize the day!

Dont do Lima or Macchiu Picchiu. I have been to all those places and it is far too much. If you wanted to fit in something extra to Rio, Iguazu and BA , maybe head to Florinapolis in Brazil or Montevideo which is near BA. No point going across the continent. Personnally i think you need at least a week in BA and Rio each and 2 days in Iguazu. Peru is a bit rough too and dont talk to me about scary bus rides in the Andes, even thinking about it again scares me.

Punta del Diable or Punta del Este in Uruguay are great spots.
Or maybe head further south down Argentina to Usuhia, or head west to Bariloche- short cheap flights with Aerolinas Argentinas

Remember it's winter so it can get very cold in Buenos Aires. Last July it snowed!

Hi,

I´ve been to all those places too, and the trip will be very hectic.

It depends what you want - do you want to be constantly on the go, and seeing a small bit of a number of places and cultures, or would you prefer to have more time to relax in each place.
I personally would recommend that you leave Peru till a different holiday and spend more time in Brazil and Argentina, but maybe your personal plans dont allow for that (e.g. you expect to have kids soon, or dont want another long haul south american holiday next year).
If you dont mind a hectic holiday and want to squeeze in lots of experiences, go for it.
Agreed, spend as little time in Lima as possible. Its the only place I´ve been to in south america which I woulnt want to go back to. It has nothing to recommend it. Just fly there as a stop off, and go to Cusco as soon as possible. BA is lovely - feels very European, but exotic with tango on the street.

Actually, thinking about it, if I were you guys and wanted to do more in the trip, I´d fly to La Paz in Bolivia or Santiago in Chile and from there go to the Atacama Desert and Salar de Uyuni. The scenery there is unbelieveably amazing - snow capped volcanos, coloured lakes, salt desert. It´s the most amazing place I´ve seen anywhere.

Hi , going to Buenos aires mid Feb for 5 days , then Iguazzu for 3 nights,
then Rio for a week.
I have tried a few banks- Halifax, Irish permanent and AIB, none of them
will entertain giving me any currency for the above.
My quaestion is where do i get currency , especially for the taxi from BA to the hotel.
I know you can take it out from an ATM/ credit card etc but has anyone
got their hands on currency.

When you arrive in Buenos Aires airport you can change your euros in a bureau de change or withdraw it from an ATM. There are a number of taxi companies with desks in the arrivals hall. All accept euros and credit cards. You pay at one of the desks (about 70 pesos for a trip to the centre) in advance so you don't even need to pay cash to the taxidriver.

When you arrive in Buenos Aires airport you can change your euros in a bureau de change or withdraw it from an ATM. There are a number of taxi companies with desks in the arrivals hall. All accept euros and credit cards. You pay at one of the desks (about 70 pesos for a trip to the centre) in advance so you don't even need to pay cash to the taxidriver.

I had asked this question on AAM quite recently. Thomas cook will sell you the currency alright but otherwise just withdraw as soon as you arrive. I was also told that american dollars would be fine for bigger hotels etc.

Back