South Africa; Sun City/Vic Falls in April....Anyone been?

N

nosedive

Hi all, planning a 10 - 14 day trip to Sun City / Victoria Falls in April 2010 and wondering if anyone's been?

Thinking of Sun City for chill out bit of the holiday and Victoria Falls for a bit of 'Africa' and maybe a little adventure...

Opinions and particularly accommadation suggestions welcome!!

Went to the VictoriaFalls Hotel some years ago when working in Swaziland. Great, if old fashioned, hotel with spectacular views of the bridge over to Zambia. Downside of course is that it is in Zimbabwe which is not a place I would recommend now.

IMHO Sun City is okay for a short visit of a couple of days or so, depending on what you like to do on holiday of course.

It's in the bush and there's only hotels, gambling, more gambling and some shows there. After a few days, you should really have seen it all.

Nice small game reserve next door with some very interesting animals, if you're lucky enough to see them.

Would recommend a few day in Sun City, then up to either Chobe Game Lodge or into the Okvango Swamp for a couple of days (you can fly in from Maun) and then up to Vic falls.

Also wouldn't recommend going into Zimbabwe or Zambia for that matter. Falls are spectacular.

If you're not into gambling, maybe give Sun City a miss and try to get down to Cape Town.

Victoria Falls for a bit of 'Africa' and maybe a little adventure...

I would suggest that you investigate Vic Falls seriously before deciding to go there.

As far as I know, the Zimbabwe side is not safe any more and more
tourism has built up around the Zambia side.

Even in the old days, when Zimbabwe was a safe place to travel, Vic Falls was an odd place. There is nothing there but the Falls and the town, with
exists only to service the tourist industry. We had a lovely few days there, (about 12 years ago), but the town has tourist hotels, shops and resturants and littel else apart from lots of people trying to sell you bungy jumping. The Falls are spectacular, but Africa is a big place, and there are maybe better ways of spending your holiday.

Sun City is tacky, dirty and soulless. I wouldnt recommend spending any time there especially when there is so much else to see and do in South Africa. Sun City is just about the worst place you can go. IF you absolutly have to stay there I would recommend spening the day in Pilansberg Park.

Hi Delgirl

I'm from South Africa living in Ireland now. Vic falls is amazing and so is sun city. i would recomend it. i've recently come back from a trip over and it was as beautiful as i remember it being. all i will say is be careful. dont assume it safe. but dont be too careful that you dont enjoy your stay... it is a beautiful country. and with the 2010 world cup.. i'd say it will be even safer next year. hope this helps. have a fab time

sorry new to this site... dont know who posted the question .. my bad haha

Hi Bronwina - it's actually nosedive who's travelling to beautiful SA, not me.

Lived/worked in Sun City for couple of years and that's why I wouldn't recommend more than a couple of days there. One man's paradise is another man's hell.

It depends what nosedive likes to do on holiday - I would rather stay at home than have 2 weeks on a beach somewhere, or in Sun City for that matter. Maybe nosedive likes gambling? Remember, the house never loses!

Thanks for all the replies guys, I think we've decided against Sun City as our initial fear was that it would, as was said, just be a tacky gambling resort.