South Africa in May 08

daveyboy

Hello,
Looking for a little advice on a trip to SAfor a honeymoon in May next year.
Plan to fly to Capetown, stay at Camps Bay? Is that a bit of a trek to the city? I'll have a car.

Also, will being going to Stellenbosch(2 nights), Montagu (1 night), then Oudshoorn (2 nights) and then onto Wilderness (1 night), Knysna (1 night) and Plettenberg (2 nights) before going to Port Elizabeth (1 night) and then safari (Rippon Safari 2 nights).

Does anyone know if the distances will be too big for driving between?

Also, anyone heard of this new Rippon safari. Trailfinders said its a new cheaper lodge beside Shamwari?

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks

Weather in Cape Town in May is pretty mixed (it's the middle of winter) .. it won't be that warm and it could be quite wet and windy sometimes - though you could get quite decent days too.

Camps Bay is no problem if you've a car - it's not that far - ~20 mins drive to the Waterfront

Consider staying in Franschoek instead of Stellenbosch in the Wine Region - much nicer place in my opinion.

As regards distances certainly Montagu-Oudtshoorn and Plettenberg Bay-Port Elizabeth are long drives - but certainly doable in a day. The rest of the distances you're proposing are pretty short - some only an hour or so

This is from distant memory:
Camps Bay is like a suburb to the main city, you are fine there (very nice).
V & A Waterfront is near by along the coast, you can get to Robben Island from here.
Lions Head and Signal Hill are in between.

As for the rest of the trip, it looks like you will be driving for a big portion of it.
Obviously I am open to correction as it was a good while ago since I was there.

Wind and rain!!!
Oh well, i'll live with a bit of that i suppose. best to expect the worst i guess.

It's been quite a while since I've driven some of those routes, so this may be a little inaccurate.
Camps Bay to Stellenbosch will probably be about an hour and a half.
Stellenbosch to Montagu about 2 hours.
Montagu to Oudtshoorn abouth 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
I've never driven Oudtshoorn to Wilderness. I'd guess a couple of hours.
Wilderness to Knysna is about half an hour
Knysna to Plett is a little under an hour
Plett to PE is about 3 hours

Those times are from when I was living there, and knew the roads reasonably well. This is quite a useful site for the distance you'll be driving around the region.

If you have the time, try to do the trip to Featherbed while you're in Knysna.

If you check out the key posts on South Africa you will find a lot of useful information.

Don'tknow if you have already booked accommodation, but from personal experience, we found that Portfolio B&B were great, especially Green Gables in Strand, about 30 minutes from the Waterfront in Cape Town.

Again, I would urge you to check out the key posts.

Have a great time.