Soundproofing a House

• Thread starter unhappygirl
  • Start date
U

unhappygirl

I am having loads of trouble with my neighbours and am thinking about getting my house sound proofed to help block out the noise. Could anyone recommend someone I could get to do the job and also if it does actually work?

Thanks

I had a friend in the same boat, he got it done but wasn't very sucessful. I would tread carefully if I were you, its more than just sounding proofing the walls you might have to change floor surfaces too. He paid €1,000 for 1 room.

There are many other threads in AAM that deal with sound proofing.

First of all you need to do a bit of research. Soundproofing is a misnomer as sound travels between 2 houses (sharing a party wall) in more than one way. Sound reduction may be the way to go here. If this seems like semantics (reduction versus proofing) then IMHO it is not as this could affect the design and cost of the solution you require.

In other words, you possibly want noise suppressed to reasonable or tolerable levels, not eliminated altogether. Also you need to resolve how much you are willing to invest in a solution that could become redundant if different tenants move in next door.

We recently had similar decisions to make. We got the builders to apply reduction measures (e.g. rockwool) to alleviate our neighbour's concerns - but not the sound proofing as she was looking for. In a semi-d house, some noise is inevitable.

Back