Sound vanished on my PC - help!

babaduck

I have a Dell Dimension 4700 & Creative Inspire speakers & subwoofer. My sound was working perfectly yesterday but I had a few broadband issues (i.e. it wasn't working) so I rebooted the PC a few times.

Broadband came back but sound is missing. I've checked the Control Panel to make sure the MUTE button wasn't ticked, I've disconnected/reconnected the speakers & am totally baffled now

Can anbody help?

Thanks!

This happened to me,the icon in the system tray vanished on me as well as the drivers stopped.

This is how i fixed it:

Go to Start --> Run, and type in: services.msc, and
hit enter.
Scroll down to "Windows Audio", right-click on it
and select
Properties, set the startup type to Automatic,
click Apply and
then click the Start button.

Hope that works.
And Yes, mine was a result of having broadband on for a long time.

Go into Control panel - admin tools - comp management.

then click on the device manager - it should show you your sound codecs etc and have a yellow ? mark beside any that may be at fault.

you can try reload/update codecs/drivers here - see if all these are ok first.

K

It didn't work!!!! I've logged a call with Dell but no word back yet. Am fit to boot it out the window...

Don't know for certain but maybe you should try a "System Restore" to the day before yesterday when you had sound. If it makes no difference, you can always reverse it.

Glad to help if I can. Even if it doesn't work at least you'll know where to find System Restore for future reference! You can set restore points yourself (just play around). They are handy to have just in case.

First go to Start, then Programs, then Accessories, then System Tools and expand from there. S.R. should come up in a sub menu. Then follow the instructions. You can only restore where a date is "bolded".

If you find you can't do a S.R. check this: Go to Start, then Settings, then Control Panel. In C.Panel find System and click on it. Under System Properties there's a System Restore tab. Just make sure the box marked "Turn off System Restore" isn't ticked.

Finally, while restore points are created occasionally, especially if you have scans scheduled, you can always create one yourself at any time. Hope this works for you.

Have had this problem myself (well rather my PC has).

Do you have all your CD's that came with your PC? - you should find a 'sound' one - mine is Sound Blaster - all you have to do is re-install system again - and hopefully that should sort out your problem.

Best of luck.

BM

Here's another way to find System Restore.

Go to Start, then Search (the microscope icon), then For Files and Folders then left click. You'll see "what do you want to search for" so then click on "All files and folders" and left click. Then type into the box under "all or part of the file name" System Tools and click on Search.

When the System Tools icon appears, double click and among various icons that will come up on the next page, you should see "System Restore". Double click on that and S.R. will appear! Dead simple from there on. I just hope it will restore your sound.

Last edited:
Have figured it out - it was the expensive Creative speakers hubby bought me for Christmas - we found a set of old Sony walkman speakers & plugged them into the socket in a fit of desperation... and they worked!

Hubs has been sent off with a flea in his ear to get me a new set of working speakers (he sells them, so no worries about finding packaging/receipts etc.!!)

Thanks so much for all your help