Sound problem with tele

Petal

Hi folks,

Lately, when I switch on the tele and then the digital, the sound is at first ok for about 10 seconds and then the background noise starts. For a while it worked just switiching the tele off and on again, but lately I have to leave the tele on until the picture freezes (prob about 15min) and then switch if off and on again and then it's usually fine. Is this likely to be the cable, or some connectors (I've checked all connections are correct and tight) or is it the digital or is it the tele itself? Any advice greatly appreciated because I'm ready to through it out and buy a new one, as this is starting to really get on my nerves!

sounds most like the digibox freezing and not the tele. can you borrow a digibox to try out? I've never heard of television pictures freezing.. Can you rule out the television first by completely disconnecting the digibox. At least then you will have narrowed it down.

Thanks Podgerodge, I'll give that a try tomorrow, although I still think it's the tele. The other day the sound/picture froze up on the X-Box, too, but then the digital was on... I will experiment with detaching all the gadgets and see how the tele holds up! Getting a new NTL box would be much cheapter than getting a new tele!

I've checked that out and the sound is ok when plugging the cable directly into the TV, so it's either the digi box or the connections. I've got the signal split so one connection goes upstairs, but the analogue quality is quite bad and i never really use it - could that be the reason that the sound has gone bad on me?

We have a strange (slightly similar) problem. Last evening some musical sounds (in background of a programme or as titles are going up) were 'freezing' for a fraction of a moment (like as if someone put their finger on a record while it's going around and slowed it down for a fraction of a second). Picture wasn't freezing .... voices weren't freezing ... just music. Anybody ever experienced this? Thanks.

What type of cable are you using for the sound - are you using a scart cable for picture and sound?

I presume you mean that you are splitting the analog signal with a Y splitter so you can get analog upstairs? That shouldnt have anything to do with the sound/picture problem you are having downstairs.

The guys on boards.ie have a lot of good advice to give on these things -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54

I might try there, too. I split the incoming NTL feed with a three way splitter, 1 goes into Broadband, one goes upstairs and one is for downstairs. The downstairs then goes into the NTL digi box. I've also got a DVD recorder hooked up and there is two scarts going into the TV. I was just wondering maybe it's the bad connection or low power or whatever in the incoming cable that causes the trouble. The one thing I haven't tried yet is someone else's Ntl Digi Box. The only thing I know now is that it's not the TV. I could try getting new Scart Cables. I could get NTL but I'm sure they wouldn't be pleased about me splitting the signal!

Petal,

Picture freezes with Sky Digital are usually cleared by turning the digibox off and unplugging from mains. Leave it unplugged for 60 seconds, then plug it back in, switch it on and after it finds a signal it should be okay.

I'm not saying this is definitely your problem (and if you've been fixing it by re-booting the TV then I don't know what that might be) but it will do no harm and is definitely worth a try.

Well, whatever is going on is very strange. I switched on the DVD recorder yesterday, and the picture immediately froze, so whatever is going on has to do something with input, I then tried same with the X-Box, and again picture froze, but seemed to be ok once digi box was switched off. Very strange indeed!