Sound Insulation in Timber Frame Houses

dj01

Hi all,

Hoping to start new build in next couple of months and strongly considering building a timber frame house. Has anyone any experience with using an insulation which offers improved sound insulation over the likes of fiberglass or rockwool. I'm considering a rigid insulation due to the fact that it won't sag like a loose mineral wool.

Thanks.
dj01

you could refer to the cygnum 'silent home' spec for timber frame houses...

Cygnum silent home package

Package is a package designed to achieve levels of sound insulation higher than standard block construction. Impact sound on the mid floor (where applicable) is reduced by supplying an additional layer of 18mm OSB and a layer 18mm gyproc plank. Furthermore, airborne sound between the groyund floor and the 1st floor (where applicable) is reduced by supplying 100mm acoustic insulation for themed floor. Finally the standard 12.5mm plasterboard is replaced by 15mm Soundbloc board for internal walls. Soundbloc is a high density plasterboard frequently used in hotels and offices where noise reduction is essential.

also check out:
[broken link removed]

You staple the rockwool to the studding when you are installing, this eliminates sagging.

We used rockwool in all walls and fibreglass in the ceilings but on the kitchen, dining room and sitting room I sheeted the inside walls with 3mm ply to give an extra barrier.

You staple the rockwool to the studding when you are installing, this eliminates sagging.

This also reduces the insulation properties of the material though (drastically in some situations).... the insulation properties for this material are dependent on the thickness, and if you staple you are reducing the thickness enormously....

Rockwool shouldn't sag, quilted insulation gets wet and does....

As Syd said, if you use quilted rockwool rather than rolls, it shouldn't sag.

There are lots of details for improving sound insulation in tf houses. You could also use Fermacell instead of Gyproc. Fermacell is a brilliant product although it is expensive, and you will need to use decorators who know how to finish it.

In general though, most of the sound insulation issues with tf are due to poor qulaity workmanship, therefore if the workmanship is good, you shouldn't have too many problems with sound insulation. The best advice is to make sure you have a good architect/project manager to oversee the workmanship of your builder.

J2K

You are stapling into the sides of the rockwool, not through it so the thickness will remain, true though if you staple straight through it

As mentioned, another plasterboard with acoustic properties is LaFarge eBlock 15mm. It's very effective we used it on a TF party wall and had it sound tested and it performed very well. It's identifiable by having a blue paper on it.

Fermacell is good too, but expensive - and bloody heavy to handle ! Also, finishing of exterior corners isn't as good as plasterboard yet - grand for internal corners and straight walls.

Whilst not used for acoustic properties, I used Warmcell in my external walls as it doesn't sag.