SonyEricsson K800i

Hanners

Hi,
Has anyone had any problems with this phone, got mine on saturday last and noticed the following problems already

1) Software to load music does not connect to phone when loaded, followed all instructions and still no joy.
2) When you remove the USB lead the phone seems to shut off and the screen flashes white to black, when this finished the screen did not seem right, graphics stalled.

Having said that the camera is v good quality and few edit photo tools are good for a laugh.

Thanks
Hanners

I just got this phone and I am finding some issues.

1) It will occasionally show "Emergency Calls Only". The new 3G SIM card works fine in other phones. Suspect the handset is at fault.

2) The Sony Software Suite and drivers are poor. Most of the time I find my USB or Bluetooth connection is not recognised. It does a good enough job at synchronizing with Outlook when eventually you get there.

Yella
I did a search of a couple of forums and found that if when you plug in the USB dont select file transfer just select phone mode, run the PC suite and it will sync straight away. Also run explorer and simply drag and drop music files into the music folder.

I get teh emergency calls also, dont know the reason unfort, think it could be a phone in general issue rather than just the handset

Hanners

I sent the phone back yesterday because customer services thought it was faulty as it didn't appear to be a SIM card issue. From what you say Hammers I shouldn't hold my breath about the replacement.
I think the "Emergency calls only" might have something to do with me being in a 3G fringe area. The 3G symbol comes and goes at home. In work where 3G is strong I don't have this problem although a video call failed instantly to vodafone number.
I'll persevere with the software and will try phone mode. Thanks.

O2 sent me out a new replacement phone and it also periodically shows "Emerg. Calls Only". I tested another SIM in the phone and it showed the same problem.

I agree it is a top phone but I would like to get to the bottom of this problem. I tested it as a modem getting 120kbps with my laptop and manage to simultaneously make a call.

I have one, no problems at all, Great Phone and amazing Camera... never had an issue with mine, i'm on three.

If you have a phone that is showing 'Emergency Calls Only' and your in an area of good coverage there is a problem with the software on the handset. A lot of the manufactuers release handsets - after extensive testing by the networks and only realise faults with them when they go into the mass market. Sony Ericsson will release many different software upgrades and I am sure that they have noticed that this is a problem with the handset and are working on it now.

If you have only got the phone you are entitled to return it within 30 days with O2 and 14 days with the others and get a brand new replacement with a new warranty. If it's older than that I know O2 have launched a new service where they give you a phone straight away but they said it was not new because you dont get a new warranty, it really is a great service, its like they really do care!! With the other networks you have to send it for repairs for 10 days or something (I am with O2 so am not sure)

With 3G handsets the theory is that even if you are in a poor 3G coverage area when you move to an area without coverage the handset is supposed to automatically move..... you should not get 'ECO' if there is no coverage or if coverage in an area is saturated.

Hope this helps

As angrylad said your mobile should transition between areas of 2, 2.5G and 3G in the background, i can only speak for my experience on three but this emergancy calls thing has only happened once or twice where i've been in more bunker than building, also Sony Ericsson alow people to upgrade the software on there own phones and still e under warrently, anyone with a K800i will have got all the necessary thing to do this with it,

I think it is a sporadic problem switching to and from 3G. It is behaving better now and I haven't seen 'ECO' all this week. When it happens it seems to get stuck and restart will cure the problem. Hopefully it will be fixed by an update. The phone is so good I'll live with the odd 'ECO'.

Back