Sony PSP

bsloe

I just received a PSP as a present and want to find out what it can do. I want to buy a bigger memory stick and would like to know where I can find out more information in realtion to this. Also, does it make any difference if I buy games from an American website. What accessories can I get as I would like to download movies. I read some where that I can access the internet on it - is this true

Any info is appreciated

Don't suppose you fancy selling it?? I've searched everywhere for one for my boyfriend for Christmas and eventually had to order from amazon because they say they'll deliver between 2nd and 20th December!

Not sure if US games will work as I don't think us ps2 games work on a european ps2 so it's probably the same. The movies are divided into regions just like regular dvds so you'll have to make sure they're region 2. The games seem to be around the same price everywhere, maybe a few euro cheaper on play.com. That's all I know i'm afraid.

I have a japanese one and have played irish and US games on it.
Have had no problems at all.

You can buy pro duo cards (memory sticks) anywhere. Ebay is probably the cheapest. Dont bother with high speed ones because the psp doesnt recognise the high speed, it will revert to normal speed. Get a 1gb card so you can fit movies on it.

Hi If you know of anyone going to the us between now and Christmas, memory is a lot cheaper over there than either here, or ebay....daithi

Look at [broken link removed] or www.ps2nfo.com

If you have firmware 2.0 (most of the PSP's come with version 2.0) you can downgrade to version 1.5 and play homebrew apps and games (SNES, Amiga, Gameboy emulators etc etc). You can also dump a copy of the game that you own onto the memory stick, if it is large enough, and play it from there. Much quicker than accessing the UMD drive all the time. Really opens up the possibilites of the PSP and proves it's more than just a games machine.

Thanks for the above

How do I downgrade to 1.5? how do I find out about adv & disadv of each. basically I am looking for a site that will tell me all I need to know about the psp and what it can & cant do

Those two sites should give you what you need. There are guides in the forums of both sites that give you the tools and the information to downgrade. It's very straightforward.

The difference between 1.5 and 2.0 is that 1.5 doesn't have a built in web browser, however some of the homebrew guys have developed a web browser so that gets round that problem. There are other subtle differences. The major downside is that the 1.5 version cannot play GTA Liberty Stories, yet. However you can upgrade and downgrade as many times as you wish so again the positives of downgrading far outweigh the negatives. Whatever you do don't upgrade to the latest version 2.5 as it is impossible to downgrade again.

Spend some time on those sites, especially the forum sections, do some reading it'll pay dividends in the end. The money you forked out for the PSP, I think they are quite expensive, will seem worthwhile as it's more than just a toy.

Back