Sony HX710 reset the date itself

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I set my DVD to record programmes on Thursday and Friday.

It recorded Thursday programmes ok.
Then it seemed to reset the date back a day, so it didn't record the Friday programmes as it thought it was Thursday.

I had it on automatically detect date and time.

I made no changes to the settings. It was still a day out, so I had to switch to manually set date to get it back on track.

Anyone else have that problem? Where does it get the automatic date and time from?

Brendan

I would imagine it gets the date and time from the teletext. Maybe the date is wrong on one of the channels (unlikely, I suppose).

MonsieurBond said:
I would imagine it gets the date and time from the teletext. Maybe the date is wrong on one of the channels (unlikely, I suppose).

Curious
My 6-year old Mitsubishi VCR did the same thing on Friday. When a programme didn't tape on Friday evening, I discovered that the VCR date was set a day early, yet had been OK on Thursday.

It is set to take date & time from BBC1.

Exactly same thing happened to me with my Sony HX710 (I only noticed it last night) - it ended up a day behind. I checked "Settings > Clock > Auto Adjust" and seen that I had it set to auto adjust and to look at BBC1. I turned the auto-adjust off. Do you know what channel you set auto adjust to look at?

Happened again - VCR was OK last night - got home at 6:15 and Lost wasn't taping so I checked the VCR - it was back to Sunday 23 April.

Have switched off the 'take time from channel' option.

It happened again to me.

I thought I had switched off the autoadjust, but I hadn't. It was taking the time from BBC 1. It recorded ok on Monday night, but missed a programme last night as it set itself back a day.

Brendan

ClubMan said:
.. Or perhaps there's a bug in the HX710 firmware and you need to upgrade it?

TarfHead said:
My 6-year old Mitsubishi VCR did the same thing ..

or not - though it is unlikely that the BBC time 'signal' f-ed up 2 days running.

I dunno - an innate trust of the BBC to do such things without messing it up, let alone twice ?

Well my Philips 3300H did the same thing so I suspect the beeb did mess up. What are they spending our license fee on

Perhaps set another channel (e.g. C4 as recommended by Andrew Wiseman in his December 2003 article above) as the PDC time synchronisation channel in case there are more reliable sources than BBC. Alternatively disable PDC time synchronisation and always depend on fixed start/end times for recording rather than dynamically controlled PDC times.