Son on mothers passport

GettingThere

As per title my 12 year old is named on his mothers passport and has only ever travelled with her. He will now be travelling on a holiday with me next month.
Does he need to have his own passport in this case (probably prudent anyway) or can he travel with her passport?

Thanks

Only if she is travelling with you. Officers are very careful when it comes to children in case one parent is removing the child from the jurisdiction without the permission of the other. So trying to get through with her passport, minus her is not going to fly and could cause you a lot of problems.

Although not required, it is also not a bad idea to have a statement from your wife saying that she knows that you two are going on holiday to where ever and are expected to return when ever.

Who are you flying with? Check their policies well on advance of travelling, especially their application of EC Regulation 444/2009, which bans children from travelling on parents' passports but which does not apply to Irish or UK citizens.

If you think you may have a problem, and can't obtain a new passport on time, get in touch immediately with the airline and, if necessary, the Commission for Aviation Regulation.

As per title my 12 year old is named on his mothers passport and has only ever travelled with her. He will now be travelling on a holiday with me next month.
Does he need to have his own passport in this case (probably prudent anyway) or can he travel with her passport?

Thanks

He needs his own passport, he cannot use his Mothers.

Since 2004 all children are required to have their own passports. If the parents passport was issued prior to 2004 then it remains valid (although there are restrictions in some countries).

I am presuming that his mother did obtain the passport prior to 2004 which actually means that she is probably due for renewal soon so your son will have to have his own then.

You should check out the passport office website for more information.

Back