Something David McWilliams should listen to.

Latrade

I know a few on here have read the Freakonomics books, don't know if anyone listens to or subscribes to their podcast. Anyway, they did a great one on the [broken link removed].

It's from a couple of months ago, but yet again this weekend I was reminded that economists McWilliams and Kelly predicted the economic collapse and how I should always bow to their words from now on.

They should just listen to the above and then come back to me.

In essence, commentators tend to just talk quite a lot of specious dogma and occasionally one gets lucky and actually gets something right. They then live off this for the rest of their lives. Even if everything they predicted before and after this event was massively wrong or inaccurate, because they predicted the "big one" they'll be seen as the one to go to.

I know Football 365 keeps a log of Lawro's weekly predictions to show how far off he is, I agree he's useless, but is he any worse than any one else? But it's a pity that we don't do the same for all commentators and how some form of gauge as to good predictions vs bad.

Anyway, 3 years in and these guys are still making their living off predicting the big one. It just annoyed me.

Back