Someone has hacked in to my yahoo & ebay accounts

gebbel

I would appreciate some fast advice,

30 minutes ago I noticed 2 emails from ebay in my yahoo account. They had only been sent 5 minutes previously. One was advising that I had successfully changed my ebay password. 5 minutes later, 3 emails from ebay popped up saying thet I had successfully listed 3 items. These were creative ipods.
I did none of the above.
10 minutes ago I was asked to log into my yahoo account....my password won't work. I am frantically trying to close them down but can't..as I can't log in. There is no emergency number.
Anyone got any idea what's going on & what I can do?

Yahoo have a security page where you can write to them and tell them your problem:
http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/security/general.html

Ebay also have a similar page:
http://pages.ebay.ie/help/confidence/isgw-account-theft-reporting.html
(which has a live chat link on it).

Your computer may be compromised. Do a full check of it for trojans. Don't sign into any other secure site until then. If you can get to a webcafe or use a friends computer, do so. Change your passwords on any other accounts you have, e.g. paypal etc. As I say, do not use your own computer to do this until you are sure it has not been compromised.

It's insane...I cannot change my ebay password as I cannot log into my yahoo account.

How do I do this? Should I not have been automatically notified? I have the latest updates
Have you been phished? (Did you click on a link that asked you to fill in your yahoo password at any stage?). Were your ebay and yahoo password the same? As they got into one, so they may have been able to get into the other.

Did you use an internet cafe and log into either one of them and not log off?

See the clean pc thread sticky for ways to check your PC.

Have you actually seen the 3 ipods listed on your page?

Yes...I think they were Creatives....I received 3 emails just before I was locked out, with confirmed listings in my ebay account. The postage address was China. Their online help is rubbish. I cannot change my ebay password because I cannot access email.
God only knows what's going on right now in those accounts thay have hacked. I can do nothing.

By the way I just downloaded PC Tools Spyware Doctor and it has found 21 threats and 308 Infections including a Trojan, Spyware and Adware. This laptop is infested.

Gebbel, another ebay member can report your account as stolen - if you want me to do this, pm me and I'll report it

Thanks all,

One more concern...I want to change my PayPal password (which is €300 in credit). Stupidly, the password for this account is the same as the ebay account that they have hacked. I cannot change the password bacause they also have control of my yahoo email and I cannot get in. I have just checked paypal and I have access.

If you want to send me the item no/nos I will do it also - maybe if we all report the problems eBay will act immediately.

If you want to send me the item no/nos I will do it also - maybe if we all report the problems eBay will act immediately.

Thanks but Gipimann has just informed me that all my ebay listings have been wiped so they did act. Just need to deal with paypal now
Thanks

The PC Tools download detected spyware, but costs €30 to wipe them clean. I cannot submit credit card info. Is there a free way to do this?

The PC Tools download detected spyware, but costs €30 to wipe them clean. I cannot submit credit card info. Is there a free way to do this?

You can get Trend Micro's Housecall to check and remove viruses, infections and vulnerabilities free online at

When you've got the time to flick through it, some great advice here on "helpful links for a clean PC".

You basically need to get yourself a firewall, Anti Virus (AV) and anti spyware/malware software. All of these can be either bought or downloaded for free, using the links and information above you should be able to find some excellent free software which will more than do the job.

Hear hear. I use Zonealarm (firewall) and AVG (antivirus) on all my machines. Both are free, both download updates every day. You will be amazed when you look at your firewall records as to how many times your pc is hit every hour. An up to date firewall and antivirus software is essential these days. You can't over emphasise this point.

Yes AVG AntiSpyware, SpyBot, CC Cleaner, X-Cleaner, adware etc.

I would suggest to everyone having the same username and password for all your accounts is a bad idea. Come up with a password/username scheme so that they are all different. For example use if the name of the site begins with G use someones name you know that starts with g and add some random number at the end like 2010 etc. Most sites allow you to recover a password if lost, so its no a problem if you forget it. Also try to mix up upper and lower case numbers, and throw in a few odd charachters. So if a preface the password with something like ! or % when you can. or use the characters in the password. Like gebbe! etc.

http://onemansblog.com/2007/03/26/how-id-hack-your-weak-passwords/

The idea of the scheme is to make your passwords more random. Of course the less you use words the better. So something like "j*JHGg20&*)^" would be great but you'll never remember that.

Thanks,

Yes I have never come across such a pre-meditated infection. To first hack into my ebay account, then almost immediately change my yahoo password. As a result, I could not change my ebay password because I could not access yahoo to view the change that ebay would send me!
Right now I still have no access to either account. How can I re-access Yahoo if somebody else has control of the password?