Key Post A guide to finding your new rental home

DannyBoyD

Starter post - will add / update as it goes.

Along the lines of advice on how to best position yourself to get a mortgage / buy a home; my recent experiences have made me realise there might be a place for a similar post on how to rent.

Before you start your search
1. Check your finances, what can you afford?
2. Are you looking to share or rent with friends?
3. Location, location, location - do you drive, are you a cyclist, will you be using public transport?
4. What is essential / what can you live without? (Ensuite & dishwasher are my essentials for example!)

Where to search
Daft & myhome are the top two websites, also check if your employer has an internal bulletin board, facebook & word of mouth are always useful - but use your common sense (more on scams later)

How to get a viewing
Most often you will be emailing; this is your first introduction so take some time developing your message.

Once you have it done, you can copy and paste, as long as the details are still correct.

What to write?
Somewhere between your life history and a one liner ("I like this property when can I move in" won't make the cut).

Neither will emails asking if the property is still available. Once a deposit is paid, I'll take down the ad; so if the ad is still there, the property is available.

Depending on the advertised property, I will be scanning to find out are you employed, are you presently renting, can you provide references, can you view quickly, if you are a group of friends or a family & how many people in the group.

You'd be surprised how many people don't check the information in the ad, a cottage in Limerick isn't much good if you work in a retail store in Blanchardstown. A one bed flat won't be suitable for a family of four. (Real examples!)

Property owners don't want voids - being ready to move quickly is a major plus.

And don't tell fibs - it'll fall apart on you very quickly.

When you have a viewing slot
Keep your appointment!

We can all make allowances for traffic, cars that wont start, illness etc., but a text 10mins before your slot saying that you'll be an hour late because you have to meet a friend at the airport immediately pushes you down the list of suitable tenants. (Real example)

If you can't organise the first step, what will you be like as a tenant?

Be respectful
Of the property owner & the property.

Its ok to ask relevant questions - is there broadband in this area? How much are the waste charges? Is this in an RPZ?

Its not OK to ask, how long have you had this house, how much did you pay for it etc. (More real examples).

Have ID and ask for ID
I always ask for photo ID at the first viewing and I share mine. Genuine business person won't be put out.

Trust but verify.

Looking for discounts
I'm generally of the view that if you don't ask, you don't get. So I'm not fazed if I'm asked, however if the answer is no, its no - don't ask a second time.

Having said that, if you can offer your services (say clearing an overgrown garden) I could do a deal on a months rent rebate.

Deposit & advance rent
You will be asked for one months rent as deposit & one months rent in advance. So if the rent is 3.5k a month, you'll have to pay over 7k. Be prepared for that.

Yes, its a shed load of money and yes I wish we had a proper deposit holding scheme (RTB - there's a job you could usefully do). However it is what it is. Get a signed receipt for your deposit; again a professional property owner will have this ready to go.

Inventory
There should be one; often there isn't. Not everyone is diligent about this. So if there is no inventory provided, do your own. Include everything, waste paper basket, 6 yellow mugs, 2 red cushions, you get the idea. Take photos and send by email to the owner (or agent).

Moving in
Your new home should have a nice fat binder with all the manuals for the appliances in the house, gas cert, BER cert, utilities etc. But like the inventory, whilst there should be one, there often isn't. These days all these manuals are available online, once you have the model name/ number you can download them.

Ask the owner/agent to call the day after move-in and talk you through the appliances/ heating / showers in the house. I always arrange this with new tenants, it's time well spent and saves your frustration and calls to the owner. (another real example; got a call - no hot water in the shower, went over to check and found they had been turning the control the wrong way.)

Being a responsible tenant
Pretty simple after this just three things you need to do
1. Pay your rent on time and in full without fail.
2. Keep the property clean and tidy; that includes cutting the grass if you have a garden, cleaning out the shower drain regularly, opening the windows and airing the house.
3. Report any issues straight away.

Managing the relationship
You should expect to have regular inspections of the property. I do these every three months initially & if all is ok, I space them out after that.

Although this is a good time to ask for anything you need help with, don't leave reporting issues until then.

Whilst the owner is not your friend (and doesn't want to be!), you should maintain a professional, friendly attitude at all times. You'll be more likely to get any updates or changes you'd like to make (e.g. new curtains in the living room) or can we have a new sofa etc.,

Last edited:
Danny

That is great to hear it from a landlord's perspective.

They are very basic issues, but clearly a lot of people don't know the basics.

How do you advertise a place to rent?

I got the impression that every letting is swamped with people or is that just for an open viewing?

I would have thought that word of mouth would be the best route these days.

Also get to know the letting agents in your area.

Brendan

To add to the above I would say an up-to-date LinkedIn profile can do no harm.

Landlords like to see ability to pay their rent.
I do an initial phone call to employer to confirm & then ask for a letter on headed paper before signing the lease. Maybe I'm out of date, but I view LinkedIn with as much credibility as Wikipedia :)

FAQs

Why don't owners / agents reply to emails?

I can't speak for agencies; in my case I won't respond to anything that looks spammy or scammy.

Emails with a one liner - when can I move in? Is this still available?

Emails with a later proposed move in date - e.g. property is advertised in July & you want to move in Sept.

People who are not currently in Ireland, often they'll offer to rent sight unseen.

I don't automatically ditch overseas mobiles, but if they don't respond to an invitation to view, then they are off the list.

Any application that has a duplicate text & different email address, sometimes the same email but different name.

Last edited:
Scams - red flags
Advertiser says they can't show you the property as they are in hospital / out of the country / whatever. Cross it off your list straight away.

Overseas bank account: cross it off your list.

Overseas mobile number: cross it off your list.

Rent seems very low compared to other properties in the area: if it's too good to be true, it often isn't true - be wary, ask questions, it could be in an RPZ and the rent hasn't kept up with the market rate.

Some folks say to verify the address on google maps, I personally don't give out the exact address until I'm confirming a viewing. So if you can view the property, I think that's sufficient to verify it's a real property.

Be wary of spelling and grammar errors; most property owners seek to present their property in the best light possible. An odd typo can happen, but strange language construction might indicate the advertiser is not in the country.

Be very, very wary of social media advertisements; long standing platforms like daft.ie and myhome.ie are more likely to be genuine. It costs around €300 to place an ad on Daft & scammers won't want to spend that kind of money.

This is a very active and busy market, if you want somewhere to rent, you have to be prepared to act with reasonable speed. However if you are hearing things like 'I have 5 other people who want this apartment, you must pay the deposit today' or 'if you pay today, I can give you a 20% discount' or any other undue pressure to force you to pay over deposit/rent, there's a very good chance it's a scam

Back