Some help with floor decisions please!!

C

coenamy

Hi there!!

Would really appreciate some advise with the following problem...

Myself and my partner has just bought a 2 bed apartment and my apartment has the kithchen and the living area combined. I saw that in the show apartment they had taken the wood floors into the kitchen. Now I have heard in the past this is not a great thing to do because of water damage. But if I don't do that I might have issues with the floor being uneven. So I have decided that I will probably do the same as in the show apartment. But what I'm not sure about is what to do with the with the kitchen appliances while the solid or semi solid (not sure which we want yet) are acclimatising for 3 weeks in the apartment. As we will need to get the kitchen appliances in as soon as possible. How will we do this is the floors are not down yet?

Any advise welcome...

Regards
Amy

you dont need to acclimatise semi solid or most solid floors.
you should be able to have tiles and wood without any problems though...

i put down semi solid wood in my sitting room and delays in getting it meant the guy laying it for me only got it from shop day he was doing the job. went down well and have had no problems with it at all. completely level and was only in house few mins before being put down.

do you mean engineered floors when you say semi-solid? an engineered board has a strip of good wood on top (usually 3mm to 6mm deep) with compressed layers of cheaper types of wood beneath.

i faced the same dilemma with my kitchen / living area. having talked to a lot of people about this we were advised to go for the engineered board as that has a better chance of surviving a leak. it is also important to go for a lacquered finish rather than and oiled one as the lacquer creates a (hopefully) water-resistant coating.

Thanks for your help, didn't know you get egineered floors, do you think these are the same as the semi-solid floors, as they do sound the same?

So do others agree that it won't really make a huge difference if we put the floor down straight away with out "drying out the apartment" ?

whilst most engineered floors (as i understand it) do not need to acclimatise i do not think that you can put them directly down on a surface that is not dry. what are the appartment floors made out of? i have been told that you need one day's drying for every 1mm of concrete that has been put down before wooden floors can be installed.

Hi Johnboy

As it is an apartment block and we are on the bottom floor it should be fairly dried out by the time we move it. But thanks for your advise

Amy