Some brands are better than others..........

Fly

Re: Abercrombie & Fitch

Funny the way different brands have different connotations in different regions.

eg.
Budweiser used to be seen as v trendy in Ireland while it was seen as cheap domestic beer in the states

Burberry is seen as quite sophisticated in the states whereas it's seen as quite naff in Ireland and Britain now.

Funny the way different brands have different connotations in different regions.

eg.
Budweiser used to be seen as v trendy in Ireland while it was seen as cheap domestic beer in the states

Burberry is seen as quite sophisticated in the states whereas it's seen as quite naff in Ireland and Britain now.

Too true...remember seeing a massive queue to get into the Burberry store in Woodbury Common last week and having a little chuckle!
It's like Fosters in Australia...nobody drinks it.

Or corned beef and cabbage in Ireland. Did anyone ever eat that, in fact?

(Have to say there's nothing wrong with it though if cooked right!)

Ah Harp is actually a better beer than we give it credit for.

A great one was the San Miguel sponsored ladies day at Randwick races in Sydney - oh how we chuckled at the aussie chicks dolled up to the nines drinking their swanky continental beer out of little posh glasses! Little do they know that we Europeans just know it as the cheapest plonk to get smashed up on trashy sun holidays with the lads!! :)

yeah, I remember having 'work drinks' in the office on Friday evenings in Sydney. The Aussies would start flaking into the Heineken and San Miguel (european beer - it must be good) whereas the ex-pats stuck to the Australian premium largers. Marketing is a great thing......

Or, 10 years ago - all the J1'ers coming back from the states where their cheap 501's - the Americans couldn't give the things away, but we perceived them as the epitome of Cool. I decommissioned mine the day I saw Dick Spring wearing a pair around Dublin!!

A great one was the San Miguel sponsored ladies day at Randwick races in Sydney - oh how we chuckled at the aussie chicks dolled up to the nines drinking their swanky continental beer out of little posh glasses! Little do they know that we Europeans just know it as the cheapest plonk to get smashed up on trashy sun holidays with the lads!! :)

They don't really have soccer hooligans in the US though do they?

Ah Harp is actually a better beer than we give it credit for.

Many years ago I had the pleasure of being at an actual pi$$-up in a brewery, in this case the Harp brewery in Dundalk. A full & free bar all night

No-one was drinking Harp, not even our hosts.

have to come in here in defence of Harp. far better than some of the other mroe popular brands. defy anyone to have a couple of pints of carlsberg and switch to harp and see the difference. Heineken is the one I can't take. Literally. gives me the shakes. some chemical in it that I am allergic to. dont like bud but theres no chemicals in it afaik and it has to be well chilled as a result, this also applied to furstenberg but I dont know if you can get it anymore.

Seems Furstenberg does still exist but not in Ireland. I am intrigued as to what their Qowaz, made from wheat beer, cola and lemongrass tastes like!!!

Stella was being promoted as an expensive but worth it beer here, while in Britain its known as wifebeater.

thanks tallpaul. that explains a bit anyway. Furstenberg is now owned by a company in the Heineken camp, it used to brewed in the GNR brewery in Dundalk, which of course is in the Diagio camp.

have to come in here in defence of Harp. far better than some of the other mroe popular brands. defy anyone to have a couple of pints of carlsberg and switch to harp and see the difference. Heineken is the one I can't take. Literally. gives me the shakes. some chemical in it that I am allergic to. dont like bud but theres no chemicals in it afaik and it has to be well chilled as a result, this also applied to furstenberg but I dont know if you can get it anymore.
Why drink beers with added chemicals when almost all German beers are pure due to a law of 1100 or so which prohibited the addition of anything other than water, hops, barley and yeast. Try it and you'll find hangovers reduce by 50% or more.

Er - a bit later than 1100!

Rheinheitsgebot

Some argue that, in many cases these days, this thing is a triumph of marketing over substance. a contrarian point of view for example.

Warning: I'm posting this as somebody who had no problems drinking Superbok while in Portugal earlier this year! :D

While I still have to admit to enjoying Harp (helped having friends in the brewery who'd throw out the odd few crates) their carry on in Dundalk turned me off them and Diageo altogether. Kilkenny is a nice beer, but expensive to get here, and it's the same mob running it.

Germany is always a delight to drink in, but a lot of the smaller breweries have closed or been bought out (Marburger was a top class outfit but couldn't compete) as they can't compete, esp with the Lidl and Aldi markets. Some of the Eastern German beers are class, Oettinger being one fine example, but I couldn't find it anywhere last month on the way through Germany.

Moosehead from Canada was a nice brew, as well as Kelly's Pale Ale, ring any bells for anyone?

Back