Some beginner advice on investing regular amounts, pelase

davidpatrick

Hey,

First post and looking for some beginner advice, please?

Within the next couple of months I’m planning to start investing regularly each month. (I’m clearing off some debt first) Basically I’m looking for some advice on what to do or whom to go to for unbiased advice etc. I’m aiming to invest about 1 – 2K each month and risk-wise I’m probably at mid level risk stage.

I’ve started looking at Mixed Rabo Investment funds, but I really don’t know much about then. I hear things like Geared Tracker bonds, Tax free roll up funds, investing in markets through a pension etc but I can’t really see the wood from the trees when I try and get info on these.

Any advice on what to do would be appreciated, or if anyone can recommend an investment adviser that would also be great!

Cheers

What is your investment timeframe?
What other debts/savings/investments do you have (including home, pension etc.)?
What are you saving/investing towards/for?
Have you read the guides on www.itsyourmoney.ie and in the key posts thread here for example?

Hi Clubman,

Cheers for the reply

What is your investment timeframe?
I plan for this to be an ongoing indefinite investment so no set time frames

What other debts/savings/investments do you have (including home, pension etc.)?

The 1 - 2K is what I will have available monthly for investment after all mortgages etc are paid. I've no other debts/savings/investments/pensions presently

What are you saving/investing towards/for?

Just to accumulate as much wealth as possible. And ideally make the investment returns my income in the future

Have you read the guides on www.itsyourmoney.ie and in the key posts thread here for example?

Not yet, but I'll take a look later today

Cheers,

Any help advice would be great!

Invest in "a random walk down Wall street" by Malkiel, should provide some clarity to your problem

Cheers,

I've ordered "The Random Walk Guide to Investing" which I understand is a more lay-mans version of "a random walk down Wall street". I’ll post up what I make of it anyway

Would anyone else have other suggestions?

I thinking about opening a Sharewatch account and taking it from there. I’m not too pushed on managed funds as fees seems to be extortionate and I’d have to question how much “management” actually goes on.

Again I may be way off the mark as all this is very new to me so all suggestion are welcomed!

Last edited:
Cheers,

I've ordered "The Random Walk Guide to Investing" which I understand is a more lay-mans version of "a random walk down Wall street". I’ll post up what I make of it anyway

Would anyone else have other suggestions?

I thinking about opening a Sharewatch account and taking it from there. I’m not too pushed on managed funds as fees seems to be extortionate and I’d have to question how much “management” actually goes on.

Again I may be way off the mark as all this is very new to me so all suggestion are welcomed!

There's a very good "Introduction to the Stock Market" course in UCD.
One night a week for about 10 weeks. I think there may even be a follow up course.
I've followed the advice from this course, and have done well out of it.
I check my share prices most days. One of the shares I invested in is doing so much better than its peers, who have all dropped. It went up 40% in one week, and I'm just shy of trebling my money at the moment.
There are rumours of a takeover. In the news article I read about this take over, they mentioned the very factors which made me but this share in the first place, which I'd learned from this course.

In the news article I read about this take over, they mentioned the very factors which made me but this share in the first place, which I'd learned from this course.
I wonder if the journalist had taken the same course? :p

Hi

I was also looking for same info. I have same requirements so thought there is no use of starting a new thread. I want to know about the best saving account. With two kids, i cannot search much

Thanks for any help

I wouldnt start investing until you have built up a good reserve fund based on regular savings first. The best regular saver available (%-wise) is Anglo's. €1000 is the max per month for 12 months. 8% interest. Open one of them for a year, stick in the max and then you have >12K to play with next year. You can stick that in fixed term account then for the best rate you can find for as long as you want. The above is zero risk (Gov guaranteed remember).....personally I wouldnt chance playing the stock market at the moment with (as you seem to indicate) little knowledge of how it works.....

Back