Solution for slow PC might help

dodo

I had a really slow pc did all that was advised here but still went really slow(ie I had over 35% of space left)ran defrags,avg,etc,checks start up where clear, did everything . Open word,excel word take a couple of minutes to open,internet explorer the same,but BB then was great.
I then decided out of boredom to clean all my favorites ie I deleted all of them, and I can't believe that I have my fast running pc fully back,word open's in seconds:D just wanted to share info , I had over 100 in favorites in both google and internet exployer so about 270 in total.

Good on ya ;) but I can't see how favourites/bookmarks would slow things down much!

I'v tried c cleaner, its free and clears out any old files not used in ages.

Yup CCleaner and Glary Utilities between them have rejuvenated my pcs for years.

A tip for MSWord running slow: do a search for the file called normal.dot (the suffix means a document template). When it comes up, delete it. Corruption of this file often slows Word. No harm is done - when you next open Word, the file is automatically rebuilt.

Have another browser on your desktop as well as IE: Chrome, Opera and Firefox all have their advantages over Microsoft's product.

If it worked for you , well and good.........

But a listing of favourites (no matter how big) shoud have no bearing on how a PC performs

My first step when fixing someones PC is usually to run CCleaner and I have to say I also have noticed that it seems to have a big effect on some PC's (speeding them up) and none on others.

I never really thought much about why till I read this, and the only reason I can think of is the IE favorites are all lots seperate small files rather than one database file like some other browsers. Lots of small files take a lot longer to process than one big file. So this would be AV scans, defrags, indexing, or caching or backup, Sync of any sort. Theres also the possiblity that these are corrupt in some way which might cause problems with processes like the above in reading them. So by clearing them you speed up these processes.

That my guess anyway.

Back