Solid Wood Kitchen - carcass made from mdf

N

nagnutz

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone out there could shed some light for me on this situation. I got a new kitchen 3 months ago - solid walnut. I paid around 8k for the kitchen excluding appliances and worktop. I am disappointed in that the carcass is made from what looks to me like chip board. This would be fine if it didn't look so bad as in it peeling and chipping around the edges. Should i bring this up to my kitchen manufacturer ? Is there not a better quality mdf that could have been used or should I have expected solid wood to be used on those areas exposed ? ie: side of tall larder unit, side of eye-level oven and sides of island. These areas are chipped at the bottom and im afraid with time this will only get worse.

Any advice welcomed

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone out there could shed some light for me on this situation. I got a new kitchen 3 months ago - solid walnut. I paid around 8k for the kitchen excluding appliances and worktop. I am disappointed in that the carcass is made from what looks to me like chip board. This would be fine if it didn't look so bad as in it peeling and chipping around the edges. Should i bring this up to my kitchen manufacturer ? Is there not a better quality mdf that could have been used or should I have expected solid wood to be used on those areas exposed ? ie: side of tall larder unit, side of eye-level oven and sides of island. These areas are chipped at the bottom and im afraid with time this will only get worse.

Any advice welcomed

Definitely go back to the supplier. I had an IKEA kitchen in my previous house and it still looked new after 5 years, so yours should not look worn after 3 months!

I would have thought anything that you can see should be solid timber. Never bought one though. Parents house kitchen is like that though.

I think that for the most part, majority of carcasses are MDF and it is just the doors that are solid wood, unless the kitchen was hand made.

However, your presses should not be peeling and I would call back the supplier as soon as possible to show them how it is wearing.

HI Nagnutz (great name)

I agree with the other posters go back to the supplier and complain

SLF

The doors are perfect - its just the carcass that is chipping.

if you check the very top of the unit (the top edge of the exposed gable ends )you will see the interior of the board.for 8k you wont get solid walnut gable ends,they have to be specialy made and cost a fortune.

most carcasses are made of mfc-melamine faced chipboard with the exposed side panels made from veneered mdf or mfc

veneered walnut mdf which is lacquered -not bad material(which looks and feels exactly like the doors), or melamine faced chipboard-not great for exposed gables and by far the cheapest option.

both of these boards have to be edged -there front edges covered with edging with either veneer or melamine to match.this is more than likely your problem,the edging is falling off.not glued on properly or not thick enough or both.

8000 for a kitchen without worktop or appliances seems like a high price it must be a large kitchen. Im a fitter and get great deals from in-house. All carcassing comes in mdf. your fitter will replace the effected shelves but the question is why did it happen and will it happen again

yeah the kitchen is quite large and i have a lot of extras such as pull-out wire larders etc. I went to the kitchen supplier the other day and he acted surprised that the edges were chipping. He said he would call to the house after the holidays to have a look at it but i think he was fobbing me off and I will probably have to hound him forever to get him out to look at it. hes got the money in his pocket now so he wont care.

Put your complaint in writing to the Supplier and make sure it is dated. Request an official site visit as the goods are not fit for the purpose. Just in case you have to go to the small claims court later on.

Should not be chipped after just 3 months.

Back