solid fuel or gas

K

kencad

I am presently building an extension and would like some advice on whether to put in a solid fuel or gas stove. have heard that gas stoves and fires are expensive to run.

some people around here think I work for Calor.......but I don't !! We built our existing house, and moved in, in 1998. I built the house for solid fuel, and rads.

At the last minute though, I discovered UFH, and we decided against solid fuel on a whole bunch of grounds - not the least of which was that we were home too late in the eves to be bothered.........so elected gas. That and the fact fact we could use one fuel for all our heating, hot water and fireplace.

I elected for the Budget plan, which sees me pay Eu107 p.m. for 11 months each year. I have never, in all those years, had to top up the bill, as I have always had credit over, at the end of every year.

My house is about 2200 sq feet, dormer. UFH downstairs, rads upstairs, no immersion or elec showers (everything done by gas), 2 fireplaces (1 occasional, 1 a lot). I dunno about anyone else, but I reckon that's good value.

Just finishing a new house now, and I didn't even need to bother looking any further, gas tank for that arrives today, hopefully.........and in the new one, I've added in solar panels, too.