Solid Fuel and OFCh

Patty C

Hi.
I have a large old house with very insulation (working on an insulation plan) in the meanwhile could any one give me some advice on my heating system... I use OFCH as little as possible due to the cost and also it takes the rooms quiet a long time to heat up, In the evening I light the stove with back boiler. with the OFCH coming on intermittently. Is it more efficient to leave the OFCH and stove running in tandem or separately? I hope im explaining so that people can understand!!

P

Economically , the back-boiler should work out cheaper than OFCH.

Running the two in tandem is doubling your heating costs .

In the meantime , while you wait for insulation , ensure that you draw the curtains , fit draught -excluders to all your doors and frames , and fit lagging jacket to your cylinder .

The cost of oil can be prohibitive , but you could buy smaller amounts to tide you over a cold spell , including 20 litre drums of home heating oil .

OFCH vs Solid Fuel

For energy cost comparisons Oct 2010 - may help you in your decision - See seai site for Fuel Cost Comparisons. Sorry - I've not posted here sufficiently often to be allowed give the link on the page!

Its at seai.ie in the subsection "Publications" subsection "Statistics Publications" subsection "Fuel Cost Comparison" document "Domestic Fuel Costs Comparison October 2010.pdf"

Hope this helps

Back