Solid Block raised garden bed

Minnie

Hi
I have received a quote of €1050 to supply, lay and plaster a solid brick raised flower bed measuring 10.5Lm and 60cm height. Is this off the WALL or am I in denial as to costs.
Many thanks in advance for any help out there.

Hi SpartRite,
Thanks for replying, the width is 1mtr and I would like it rendered - maybe plaster was the wrong term. Rendering gives a better finish.

1. Price up the materials required
2. Work out how long it would take you to do the entire job yourself in your spare time
3. Decide if you'd prefer to use your spare time doing something else and pay someone to do the job for you.

1. Price up the materials required
2. Work out how long it would take you to do the entire job yourself in your spare time
3. Decide if you'd prefer to use your spare time doing something else and pay someone to do the job for you.
Hi Thirsty,
Thanks for you reply, I have no problem paying someone to do the job I just think the quote is a bit excessive as the guy will be here doing other work in the garden.

10.5 metres length, three rows of blocks, plastered Finish
some site Prep / basic digging and foundations
about 75 blocks
about 23m of edge bead (thereabouts, if bed is rectangular)
needs two coats of plaster for good finish
Plus a few bags of sand, cement, plaster, etc.

1000 euro sounds alright.

Hi SpartRite,
Thanks for replying, the width is 1mtr and I would like it rendered - maybe plaster was the wrong term. Rendering gives a better finish.

The reason I asked was it block or brick (besides impacting the price ) was that your title says 'block' but your OP says 'brick' and I was wondering why render a brick.

10.5 metres length, three rows of blocks, plastered Finish
some site Prep / basic digging and foundations
about 75 blocks
about 23m of edge bead (thereabouts, if bed is rectangular)
needs two coats of plaster for good finish
Plus a few bags of sand, cement, plaster, etc.

1000 euro sounds alright.
Many thanks for your work on this reply its much appreciated. It just seemed a lot of money for a raised flower bed, I'll have to look at alternatives.

Do the concrete posts that hold the concrete panels not require foundations ?
I'll leave that to the experts to answer but in my own experience of using them I put them into holes about 2.5 foot deep and filled the holes with stone and soil. If there was any concern you could of course fill the hole with concrete, I guess it all depends on how much weight will be on the panels but 60cm height is not a lot so once the post is buried well it should be fine - at least in my case I've had no issues..

Why not go with a prefab bed like for example [broken link removed], or [broken link removed]
google search will provide many more ideas of course.

Back