solicitors fees

A

Anita T

I spoke with my solicitor about a commercial matter recently.
She advised me that to deal with it would cost €250 per hour.
Does this sound expensive.

What would be the norm.

Hi Anita,

I am in the West of Ireland and I charge €300 per hour for commercial work. I charge less for clients that have ongoing work. I charge a fixed fee where appropriate and where the client asks.

I don't think €250 per hour is OTT but it really does depend on the nature of the work involved, and how long it will take.

Kate.

Thank for your comment.I may have to take legal action against a fellow company director.

Have you asked how many hours they think (estimate) it will take. I'm not sure but are you not entitled to a S68 letter that details the fees?

Anita - an action against a fellow company director could be a difficult and time consuming matter. A solicitor experienced in such matters would be a bargain at €250 an hour.

You are heading into the HIgh COurt - VERY expensive place to be.

Try some form of mediation.

Anita,

Why not talk to your solicitor about the initial steps that need to be taken? If he/she can outline them for you perhaps you could agree a fixed fee for the initial stages and work from there ..

Kate.

Thanks guys. we agreed to control costs by setting a cap for the moment.

If that cap includes work involving some form of litigation i.e. serving summons it is meaningless. Once proceedings instituted then litigation will take its course. Nuac has given excellent advice in terms of considering mediation route. If your Solicitor cannot advise you in this respect you should find another Solicitor as you could be wasting your money.

Back