Solicitors fees--way above original estimation

F

Fern

Just a quick question. I recently obtained my judicial seperation and received my solicitors bill today. He originally quoted a ballpark figure for an uncontested fee of juducial separation of about €2k, he has now come back with a bill for same of just under €5k!!!

What do I do? I've e-mailed him to query and am awaiting his response. Can he really charge me this fee????

It really depends on how complicated your separation agreement is. If it was fairly clearcut, then I would negotiate with the solicitor, tell him/her to get real and cop on, and look for an itemised account off all and any action he/she had to take on your behalf, in particular, any outlay for expenditure (receipted, of course) which they incurred. Unfortunately, without knowing how much/little effort was required to represent you in the Court, it's very hard to comment except to say that any professional who, with full knowledge (I assume) of the case in hand, gave an estimate of the cost and then more than doubled it after the event, is not very professional!

Thanks for your response. It wasn't complicated at all---in the end was very straightforward.

Will just have to see what hisn response is I reckon!!!

Even 50% above the estimate is €3k ..... it seems to be way off the mark.

I'd contest it strongly. You asked for an idea of costs initially so you could budget accordingly ..... €5k sounds like a Celtic Tiger price.

Like Eithneangela says ... tell him to get real.

Ask for a complete breakdown of expenses and ask him how his initial estimate is now costing you 250% more!

Totally agree with other posters, get a full and complete breakdown of the bill and question him in relation to the massive increase in what he said would be a ball park figure.

Thanks everyone. Will go back to him with that tomorrow and see what response I get!!!

This happened to me with my accountant last year. When the bill came it was 2K higher than his quote. He said that it was more work than he had thought but he had loads of opportunity to tell me that while the work was being done and he didn't .
I refused to pay. I paid what the original quote was and has since found a new accountant.

Back