solicitors cheque payment

jubi

My story is that a member of my family is due to receive a cheque from a solicitor and she wants it to made out to me. Can the solicitor object to this or can she request that the cheque be made out to whoever she nominates.

There are a few reasons why solicitors do not like doing this among which are Law Society Accounting Regulations which make it normally necessary that client funds get paid to client and the possibility of being sued by client and/or their family if this is deemed an improvident transaction at a later stage. Why does she want the cheque payable to you? Surely it is much easier for solicitor to write client a cheque, or do electronic transfer into her account if speed is necessary and then for her to pay out to you. As a solicitor I would need a very compelling reason to pay to a third party on behalf of a client. I would also have to cover myself thoroughly with written authority if I felt in anyway inclined to go along, which is frankly doubtful. Depending on the state of mind of client I would more than likely just refuse outright.

agree with Vanilla. can not the payee collect cheque, endorse to you and then you lode to your account?

Alternatively, can the payee lodge to his/her account then draw his/her own cheque to you?