solicitor still has deeds 6 years after sale

McGann

Contacted my mortgage lender last week about deeds, lender informed me deeds still with solicitor 6 years later. Am ringing solicitor tomorrow as he never rang me back last week regarding this query. Im worried, is it normal for a solicitor to still have deeds at this stage?
would appreciate any advice
regards
Mcgann

thanks onq, searched before I posted hence my being worried about the outcome of my phonecall to solicitor tomorrow

It sounds perfectly normal to me. Often there is no such thing as "the deeds". Most modern titles are land registry and the document of title is merely a copy of the Folio obtainable from the land registry. By all means ask your solicitor what they are holding (perhaps the mortgage document and assorted planning docs.) but no need to be upset about it at all. Most people leave their file with the solicitor or lending agency - usually safer there.

Hi McGann,

The main things I would want to discover are -
(i) whether or not your property is in your name, and
(ii) whether the solicitor has used your title documents for an improper purpose.
If there are any irregularities, inform the Incorporated Law Society.

ONQ.

I am not surpised by this. I had my old bank contact me that they still had my deeds nearly 5 years after moving my mortgage to another bank. The new bank didn't even know.

I don't find this unusual either. It happened to me twice that the deeds had not been registered two years after buying the property. The fact that I'd paid the solicitors the land registry fee and he'd left it earning interest in their account on both occasions is, I'm sure, just a coincident.

Back