Solicitor recommendation for Chinese immigrant?

ClubMan

Bit of a long shot maybe and I don't have much info but I was asked this afternoon by a Chinese immigrant who I know if I could recommend a solicitor in the Dublin city centre area. Unfortunately I don't know what area of law is in question here and the only solicitor that I ever dealt with is no longer city centre but if anybody can make any recommendations then I will pass them on. Thanks.

Thanks - I realise that the query is a bit vague!

By the way - I was also asked if a first consultation is free but I recommended that they check in advance to be absolutely sure. I presume that this is reasonable even if most (all?) solicitors would not charge for the initial chat to investigate what sort of issue the client had and how things could progress from there?

By the way - I was also asked if a first consultation is free but I recommended that they check in advance to be absolutely sure. I presume that this is reasonable even if most (all?) solicitors would not charge for the initial chat to investigate what sort of issue the client had and how things could progress from there?

Wouldn't depend on this at all since if that were the case I'd be inundated with 'first consultations'.

What I meant was would it be the norm not to charge for the initial chat during which the client discusses their needs with the solicitor before actually getting into the advice part? Are you saying that some (most?) solicitors will charge for this introductory meeting even if no advice proper is dispensed?

Yes, that's possible. It really depends on what it is about and where it goes from the initial chat.

I think that would be very unlikely but not impossible. For example, if Joe Bloggs comes into me about for example a right of way. He happens to have brought all of the relevant title with him. I examine the title, have a detailed consultation and at the end tell him that he is in the wrong, or what he wants to do cannot be done. In that case he might well be charged a fee.

A family member consulted a solicitor on a family law issue, and got a response letter indicating that the solicitor was not prepared to act in this matter, along with a bill for €320. He paid the bill, then took out a Small Claims case against the solicitor's firm. The firm agreed to refund the fee.

Back