Solicitor Fees

soloeffort

I have bought a new house and have been dealing with a solicitor to look after all the legal side of things. we verbally agreed at the beginning that the total cost would be around 2k and now they have sent a bill for €2700, can they do this?

Ask the solicitor for a breakdown of the 2700.
Did the costs of 2000 which were discussed include VAT. Did it include all cost and fees ?

How much of the 2000 was the solictors fee and how much was costs that the solicitor cannot control ?

When i spoke with the solicitor initially, i was under the impression that this 2k included everything. dont have the bill on me at the moment but he has charged me a 5 of the value of the property

Would the 2K quote have been based on you telling him that you were going to buy a home worth X and you eventually spent more that you originally told him.

Obviously you didn;t know you were been charged a %. Alos, a higher purchace price increases some of the outlays.

There have been other thread about getting written quotations from solicitors in advance of work.

At the moment, all you can do, is ask him to justify the bill.

Your solicitor is required by regulation to give you a written break-down of his/her fee and estimated outlay when you initially instruct him/her. As a general rule his/her professional fee is negotiable but the outlay is not. Outlay includes such things as stamp duty and registration fees.

Askar
www.propertylawyer.ie

Back