Solicitor fee PIAB

E

edladd

Hi all,

I've seen a few threads on this forum where people have been quoted a fee of 1500-1750 for a solicitor to process a Personal Injuries Board assessment. I have recently been involved in one of these cases that involved no complications, until my solicitor informed me he wanted to charge me approximately €10000! I was unsurprisingly shocked and asked why it was so much - and he went mad - shouting at me and saying I was threatening him with the Law Society. I convinced him to send me a breakdown of the invoice, and (only two weeks later) it has arrived quoting just over €5000.

I still think this is excessive. Would I be justified at this point going through the Law Society/Taxing Master process - or should I continue to try and reason with him to see if he will come down to a more reasonable charge.

p.s. I thought it was 'interesting' that one of the charges is €350 for sending me the Section 68 letter - which I never recieved

Report this to the law society with a full accounting of your earlier encounter and the €10,000 fee he mentioned - totally outrageous fee and totally outrageous behaviour.

You may find Brendan's post here makes interesting reading

Thanks onq, makes me feel a bit better knowing I'm not the only one thinking this type of thing isn't normal.

While there could be compelling reasons for charging so much edladd, your description of the matter doesn't suggest any. Perhaps legally trained regulars might also comment.