Solicitor fee PIAB

E

edladd

Hi all,

I've seen a few threads on this forum where people have been quoted a fee of 1500-1750 for a solicitor to process a Personal Injuries Board assessment. I have recently been involved in one of these cases that involved no complications, until my solicitor informed me he wanted to charge me approximately €10000! I was unsurprisingly shocked and asked why it was so much - and he went mad - shouting at me and saying I was threatening him with the Law Society. I convinced him to send me a breakdown of the invoice, and (only two weeks later) it has arrived quoting just over €5000.

I still think this is excessive. Would I be justified at this point going through the Law Society/Taxing Master process - or should I continue to try and reason with him to see if he will come down to a more reasonable charge.

p.s. I thought it was 'interesting' that one of the charges is €350 for sending me the Section 68 letter - which I never recieved :confused:

Report this to the law society with a full accounting of your earlier encounter and the €10,000 fee he mentioned - totally outrageous fee and totally outrageous behaviour.

You may find Brendan's post here makes interesting reading

Thanks onq, makes me feel a bit better knowing I'm not the only one thinking this type of thing isn't normal.
:)

While there could be compelling reasons for charging so much edladd, your description of the matter doesn't suggest any. Perhaps legally trained regulars might also comment.

Back