Solicitor asking financial institution for payment of inheritance

medelina

Hi. I've been granted administration of an estate and my solicitor has written to the financial institution asking for the monies to be sent to them. I got a call from the financial institution asking me did I want want the money sent to the solicitor as per the letter they received or did I want the money sent directly to me.

I didn't expect that the solicitor would write directly the FI looking for the money so it was a bit of a surprise. I haven't dealt with this solicitor firm before and I've agreed a fixed fee with them. It doesn't really matter to me if they deduct that from the money or I pay them seperately.

I'm always going to be a bit uncomfortable of my money going to a third party, so I was wondering if this is normal that a solicitor goes directly to the FI or if it's not and it's something I should be worried about?

Thanks. Med

You have engaged a solicitor and agreed a fee. For what?

It is normal when a solicitor is engaged by an executor or administrator that the solicitor realises all the assets and pays all the debts and expenses out of the proceeds, and makes the distribution to the beneficiaries. The executor's or administrator's role is generally to sign documents and little else.

Thanks for your reply. I’d engaged the solicitor primarily for dealing with probate office and sorting out the administration of the estate as there was some complex circumstances. I hadn’t really known that the solicitor would realise the assets, pay bills and distribute as well. I’d expected them just to return a letter of administration and I’d have to go and do the rest - that’s where my confusion lay when I was contacted by the financial institution. The fact that I hadn’t known the process and they rang me and said “are you sure you want us to send this to your solicitor and not directly to you” spooked me a bit.

It sounds like it’s quite normal and nothing to be worried about.

Thanks again. Med

When you engaged the solicitor, did they not explain to you the process and what tasks they would do for you in this regard?

Solicitors can make assumptions about the intentions of their clients, and the most general assumption is that the client seeks a standard service.

As the fee is agreed, I presume that it does not bother you if the solicitor undertakes more work than you had supposed would be done for you.

Solicitors can make assumptions about the intentions of their clients, and the most general assumption is that the client seeks a standard service.

As the fee is agreed, I presume that it does not bother you if the solicitor undertakes more work than you had supposed would be done for you.

Yeah, I think that was the case, and I certainly don’t mind if he does more work as long as I don’t see him on the 6 o’clock new anytime soon ;)

Back