Sole Trader registration

T

Thai'd Up

When starting a new business as a sole trader am I required to register anything?
Eg. Do I have to register a company name, because so far I have only found ways of registering a name for a limited company and not a sole trader.

Yes. TR1 for Revenue and Form RBN1 for Companies Registration Office.

See here for more details on RBN1 registration: [broken link removed]

You can register a buisness name for a sole trader (Form RBN1) on-line at companies registration office.ie fee 25euro You are not reqiured to do this It is a personal choice Its simply a buisness name ie Joe Bloggs T|A The Village Diner The main thing is to register with the revenue as a sole trader which is done in your own name The trading name or buisness name rgistration is optional

Last edited:

This is not exactly true.

Anyone wishing to trade or already trading under a name which differs to their own true name, must register as a Business or Company with the CRO.

You don't have to register for VAT straight way until you pass the thresholds
Then you must register.

€37,500 for the supply of services, and €75,000 for the supply of goods.
If you don't need to register for VAT then don't.

Not so RonanC anyone wishing to trade as a sole trader is quiet entitled to do so under their own name thereby having nothing whatsoever to do with buisness names or buisness name registration

I am registered as Myreal Name trading as Blah.

I also registered the trading name to protect it - meaning nobody else can use it in this country. Another 20 quid if I remember

Make very sure you understand the implications of trading under your own name or trading as such and such compared to a limited company.

If it goes pear shaped, the creditor comes after what you have in your name.
Not the case for a limited company, unless you were negligent. Read up on it well.
And never give personal guarantees. That revokes the limited company protection and puts the crosshairs back on you.
There are other threads on the board about personal guarantees.

Not so RonanC anyone wishing to trade as a sole trader is quiet entitled to do so under their own name thereby having nothing whatsoever to do with buisness names or buisness name registration

Jonny, read what I said. You said the registration of a Business Name is optional.. Its not.

Registration of a business name is obligatory if any individual or partnership (whether composed of individuals or bodies corporate or any combination of both) or any body corporate carries on business under a name other than their own true names.
[broken link removed]

Also, the fee is €40 if the application is filed in paper format. It is €20 if done electronically using [broken link removed]

I also registered the trading name to protect it - meaning nobody else can use it in this country.

This isn't correct - the registration of a business name doesn't prevent someone else registering that name and using it.

Yes there are circumstances that benefit you, but having being trading for 23 years with a VAT number for a lot of them, I have yet to see the glaring benefit to register for VAT when setting up. So all and all I would say it's circumstance and would still not recommend it unless you need it.

The most obvious situation would be where your customers have full VAT recoverabilty on purchases and you have significant investment in equipment to make.

The most obvious situation would be where your customers have full VAT recoverabilty on purchases and you have significant investment in equipment to make.

Not true, it is nothing to do with the customers VAT recoverability. The traders recoverability needs to be considered in this case the OP. i.e. if the OP business cannot recover VAT then it would be pointless registering early.

1 reclaim vat on fixtures & fittings when starting up for one if its considerable
2 if your a zero rates vatable activity then it might be wise to register

to name but a few

Not true, it is nothing to do with the customers VAT recoverability. The traders recoverability needs to be considered in this case the OP. i.e. if the OP business cannot recover VAT then it would be pointless registering early.

You're missing the point.

If the customer can reclaim the VAT then the VAT doesn't effect the price paid by that customer. If the customer cannot reclaim the VAT then the VAT becomes part of the price paid. Therefore, the type of customer should influence a decision on whether or not to register early.

Agree, but the OP VAT rcovery is also relevant

other than their own true names Point being an individual can operate as a sole trader using their own name & as previously stated have nothing to do whatsoever with buisness name registration This registration is becoming more obsolete by the day as the once limited protection it offered (to the name) has now been all but eroded. It boils down to a personal choice

Yes. However, for marketing/other reasons some traders may have a preference to trade under a name other than their own. payments to the business may be made to the trading name. In order to transact cheques/payments to a trading name a bank will require a copy of the Business Name Registration Cert.

This registration is becoming more obsolete by the day

Sorry but check the facts before making statements like that.

Business Name registrations with the CRO for 2010 - 28,089. An increase of 9% compared to 2009. (from CRO annual report for 2010)

More and more people are registering a Business Name instead of a Ltd Company as they simply dont want the hassle a Ltd Company brings in their first year or two of business.