sole trader expenses

L

lisamclancy

Hi,

I am an Irish student currently studying for my masters in Nottingham. My fees were £6000 and I had to get a 15,000 euro loan to fund this. This course among many things is geared towards self-employment afterwards.
I just have a few questions regarding tax and expenses in Ireland ( I am a total novice regards tax, business...etc).
If I was to register as a sole trader (my business being directly linked to the course) would I be able to claim my fees and/or loan as a business expense?

Whereas relevant pre-trading expenses would be allowable, I can't see the living expenses loan qualifying. Even the course fees sounds a stretch, if it covered " many things" I don't see it is directly linked to your future business.

Training to put yourself in a position to carry on a business is not tax deductable, however, training to keep up would be.

I would suggest that you do a "Starting in Business" course, which are run all over the country as evening classes or through Enterprise Boards, as this will cover a lot of tax issues.

Back