Sole trader compatibility?

S

Serena

Hi,
my current situation is of unemployment in my country of origin, Spain, after being working in Ireland for the last number of years. I am getting jobseekers allowance.

Seeking for a job the only thing I have found so far is working as an agent in Ireland for a company that wants to introduce a new product in Europe. This company forces me to become a sole trader in Ireland in order to work for them sorely on a commission basis. They give me exclusivity for the country but they want a number of sales completed and also they do not pay for any expenses such as travelling, phone, internet, petrol... and so on so if I am successful it will take me more than 6 months to actually start getting any decent money out of my work. I think that is sounds silly but the product is innovative and has potential so if I invest a bit of money and go back and forth to customers offering it, i might meet my sales targets in few months from now.

However, I am very indecise because this "job" will cost me money and the only source of income I have now is the allowance from the spanish goverment which I do not wish to risk until I see that the product works fine.

I wonder, is it compatible registering as sole trader while getting the dole from Spain? If not, how likely am I to be caught if for the first 2-3 months I am registered I do not get any income from my trading activity (after 3 months I might get 150e/month and after 6months 400e. more or less. At this stage, after 6 months, if happens as predicted, I will be in the right path and do not care about not getting any dole because it will mean the product is good & I can negotiate the contract to increase benefits).

Thanks for your help.

Back