Sole Trader’s Title?

M

Mr Burns

Hi all,

I’ve recently set up as a sole trader working as a freelance Quantity Surveyor. I was wondering what do I call myself on business cards, correspondence, etc. As I have not set up a company, director is not an option. So, do I go with Owner, Principal, Partner, etc? Some of these sound a little old fashioned, however I want to convey a professional image and I presume these titles change with the times, so what are people using today?

Mr Burns

Certainly not "partner" as there is no partnership. "Owner" does not impress; "principal" might be okay, depending on context, but might be too pompous if you do not have any staff.

What's wrong with simplicity? "Mr. Burns, Quantity Surveyor" looks okay to me.

now with so many people looking for work it is important to highlight your precise qualifications and give a land line telephone number.

... I’ve recently set up as a sole trader working as a freelance Quantity Surveyor. I was wondering what do I call myself on business cards, correspondence, etc. ... s
This reflects the taxation arrangements between you and the Revenue and I'm not sure what relevance this has for discharging your duties to your clients. You could I suppose put "Self-employed Quantity Surveyor" on your cards but this may create the impression of a QS working on their own with no back-up,

If using a business name e.g. Joe Bloggs & Co., Quantity Surveyors or Joe Bloggs & Associates Quantity Surveyors then your name, any post-nominal letters for qualifications and the word "principal" under that would not be unusual.

If using just your own name then I would think, Joe Bloggs with post-nominal letters and underneath that "Quantity Surveyor" would be fine.

I can't say that I have ever seen the words "self-employed" used on professional services business cards.