Sold my car, Buyer now decides he wants to return it 3 months later!!..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eamonn T

Hi All,
I sold my car back in May to a guy from cork, I advertised the car Privatly on a website for sale and got a call from him. He asked alot of questions and said he would try and arrange a day to veiw the car when he speaks to his mechanic who he would be taking along with him.

I heard nothing back from him for about 3 weeks, he called me up 1 evening and said he would meet me in Dundalk the next day.
The following day I met him in Dundalk, he was alone ( No mechanic like he said 3 weeks earlier ), he inspected the car well for about 15 - 25mins and seemed to know theses cars well and seemed like he knew what he was doing and knew what to look for ect then he took a test drive out the road for about 20mile. He asked me how much the VRT is but I didnt know, I said I Think around €4000. He said he liked the car but he had looked at a similar car in Dublin a few hours earlier and that car was some €1000 cheaper, he said if I droped €1000 he would buy my car instead of the Dubliners car. I refused, he then called up the Dub and persisted to try and haggle him down in price wile I sat beside him in the car and would then turn to me and say " This man is willing to take €12500 would I match this" I agreed, he then persisted to push the dubliner down further in price but the Dubliner was having no more of it and told him to get lost and hung up.

He then handed me a €300 deposit and asked me if I would put 4 tires on the car and if I would meet him in Kildare in a few days which I agreed to.
The very next day he called me up and said the VRT price I quoted him was rong and was actually €400 more!!..
He said he wanted his deposit back as I had Lied to him about the price, but I didnt know the price and told him that "I Think" its around €4000. In my opinion I didnt lie to him about anything. I agreed to meet him half way in end up and knocked €200 of the price of the car to compensate his mistake which he blamed on me!!..

A few days later I set of for Kildare followed by a mate of mine in his car to take me back home again. I met the buyer in a supermarket carpark, he took the car for another test drive and so did his wife. They said they liked it and were satisfied with it, I had priviously told him over the phone that I was unable to get the tires fitted as due to them being such an unusual size it was going to take the tyre center 2 weeks or so to get them in for me, he said ok that I could forward the tires on to him when they arrived by DHL or DPD ect.

He handed me the money in an envolope but when I counted the money he was infact €350 short, When I questioned him on this he replied " Take it or Leave it" After a bit of a verbal row with him over this I decided to lick my wounds and accept his money. I handed him a reciept of sale I wanted him to sign which basicly stated that the car was Sold Privatly "As is" and that he was satisfied with the time I provided him to inspect the car and the cars condition ect. but he refused to sign it, I took the keys and handed him his money and attempted to leave but he then snatched the reciept from me and scribbled a signature on it in a different name!.. I refused to accept it from him in this name but he said he wanted the car registered in his brothers name with his Belfast address which he give me so since the name and address he give me matched the signature I was happy enough and headed for home.

To my disbelieve and shock the next morning at 6:15AM he called me up and verbally abused me over the phone because I didnt remove the car from the website I had it advertised on yet and that he was no longer willing to wait on tires he wanted them immediatly. I kinda lost my temper with him and his unmannerly attidute and told him straight out, He had to wait on tires as the tyre depo didnt have them for around another 2 weeks and I could not make 4 tyres for him. I also told him straight I wasnt impressed 1 bit with his attidute and calling me up at that hour of the morning.

Around 2 weeks later he called my wifes fone ( I had previously returned a missed call to him from her fone around the time we were trying to arrange the collection of the car so he must have saved her number!..) He absolutly terrified the life out of her by calling her every name under the sun and threatened to "send some heafty lads down to sort us out if he didnt have his tires by the end of the day" He continued to call her fone and not once attepted to call mine the next day 4 or 5 times and said he no longer wanted the tires he wanted €800 compensation to get 4 tires and to fix a sensor that was gone in the car ( First mention of a sensor being gone some 3 weeks later )

I was out of the country and my wife was home alone with the kids and was terrified of this fellas threts, so I decided I would call him up and explain that he didnt have his tires because I was out the country that week but my brother would arrange everything that day. He didnt even let me speak!!.. He ate me over the fone in some rant you wouldnt hear of a crazy man!. and said he no longer wanted the tires ( which I had already paid for and had been sent to him that day by my brother with DHL ) but he wanted €800 compensation. I refused as I felt this guy must suffer from some mental ilness or somthing by the way he was carrying on. He recieved the tires 2 days later and I heard nothing more from him until now September.

The vehicle was registered to a garage up north here where I originally purchased the car ( For some reason unknown to myself I forgot to get the car put in my name ) but last week I got a call from the garage owner who tells me that he got a solicitors letter from a guy in cork regarding my car.
He is now alleging 3 months later!.. that the car has an injection system fault, a Manifold fault, an ABS sensor is gone, It has a broken wing mirror and the car actually has over 100,000 miles more than the clocks show!!.. He wants €5000 compensation or to take the car back and pay him his €12,500 back.
The garrage owner ran a HPI check for me on saturday and also a check with Cartel.ie and it shows up " No Milage Discrepancies".

The letter also says that I informed the buyer that I was selling the car on behalf of this garage owner which is totally untrue. The garage owner isnt even going to reply to the letter and he says I should ignore him too if he sends me a letter but as yet Iv recieved nothing.

It really annoys me as the car was a perfect car with absolutly no faults whatsoever when I sold it to this guy, The car is a 5 series BMW and has an i-Drive system, Iv been told by a main BMW dealer today that if an ABS sensor was faulty or the manifold or Injection System was faulty it would show up as a warning on the i-Drive screen immidiatly and would not go away until fixed so I am absolutly 100% sure these alleged faults were not present on the car when I sold it as the i -Drive would have picked them up and he would have even seen them on his test drives also. I cannot understand how this fella can insist the millage to not be correct, when I purchased the car a few years ago in the UK I done a HPI check and it showed up HPI clear with " No Mileage Discrepancies " when I heard he was alleging the mileage to be incorrect I again done another HPI Check and a Cartell.ie check on Saturday and again the car showed up HPI Clear with " No Accidents or Mileage Discrepancies ".

My wife is all upset and terribly annoyed about the whole situation as am I myself now that he seems to be resorting to a legal road. We have now bought another car and dont have the money to refund him and take back the car but I also feel that this guy may have had this whole thing planned out from day one as I am absolutly certain that that car was perfect when it left here and certainly did not have any problem which he is alleging so im struggling to understand why somone would attempt a stunt like this guy has unless he is some kind of con artist.

Im sory for perhaps rambling on a bit in telling the story but I feel the whole story has to be told in order to expect anyone to offer proper advice or an opinion which are based on all the facts!..

Has anyone else found themselves in a situation similar to this following the sale of your vehicle?.. How is this likly to go if it went to court??..

Thanks for your advice & opinions in advance,
Eamonn

I have not read your post as it is too long. So my answer is based on the title...

"Caveat Emptor" applies when selling/buying cars, so buyer has no come back.

He has no comeback obviously and it will not go to court. But man did he have you wrapped around his little finger or what. You gave in to all of his demands, agreed to put on 4 new tyres after a price was agreed and even accepted less money than was agreed. You should have walked.

Now he is obviously chancing his arm again. You sound like a genuine guy and its not up to you to have to counter all of these allegations. The deal is done and thats it. You just need to toughen up on your responses to this fella.

You could consider changing your phone numbers and if you are being threatened I would make it known to the guards.

I would agree on changing your phone numbers. It is the easiest way to stop any trouble.

I take it you live in the north? Due to him having to pay duty. It may be a case that he has not reregistered the car - if he looking for his money back - thus I would consider reporting him to Irish customs.
Ring your phone company and have his number blocked. Don't answer private numbers and ignore any messages.
Report him to the police for harassment if he persists.
He has no come back.

God I’d love to deal with this guy. Nothing give me more pleasure than putting a clown like him in his box (verbally that is).
In answer to your question, as other posters have said, he has no come back. Next time he calls laugh at him and tell him to get stuffed.

... The vehicle was registered to a garage up north here where I originally purchased the car ( For some reason unknown to myself I forgot to get the car put in my name ) ...
Let me take a wild guess here. Would the need to pay €4.5k in VRT on importing and registering the car in your name have any bearing on the poor memory, or is that just my cynical side showing?

If OP was NI-based the garage would have registered the V5 in OP's name on purchase, so that probably means the car was bought as a personal export with the V5 handed over at point of sale. (Just noticed OP's location says Co. Louth)

I agree it's not acceptable that you or your wife should have to be on the receiving end of abuse from the purchaser, but it's also not acceptable that the car be driven around with no VRT or tax paid on it in this country, thus abusing our taxation laws. I guess the old saying about birds of a feather might apply here.

he bought the car sold as seen....i have sold many many cars this way and never had any crap like this. once he signed for it its now out of your hands.

let the gangster cry all he wants because its nothing got to do with you PERIOD

Have to agree with Mathepac here, the OP has been taking the proverbials by not taxing his car which he bought a few years ago according to himself, now having flouted the law he wants the law's help in dealing with another tax cheat who wants the car registered to an address in the North - reap as ye shall sow.

and given one of his previous posts is this
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showpost.php?p=1078812&postcount=25
i think that says it all.

Have to agree with Mathepac here, the OP has been taking the proverbials by not taxing his car which he bought a few years ago according to himself, now having flouted the law he wants the law's help in dealing with another tax cheat who wants the car registered to an address in the North - reap as ye shall sow.

and given one of his previous posts is this
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showpost.php?p=1078812&postcount=25
i think that says it all.

Hmm, seems I was wrong in thinking the OP was a "genuine" type of fella.

I think the OP is looking for advice on his predicamint, not a lecture on the rights and wrongs of paying VRT.

I think the OP is looking for advice on his predicamint, not a lecture on the rights and wrongs of paying VRT.
Yep, but when it appears that the OP has committed a crime and defrauded the people of Ireland then people will comment.

It is typical of a country like Ireland. Won't someone please think of the children.

It is typical of a country like Ireland. Won't someone please think of the children.

God forbid anyone here who has ever done 51 km/h down a city street. Go turn yourselves in like the good obedient citizens that yee claim to be.

Marginally breaking the speed limit is not on the same level as actively avoiding paying tax that should be paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back