Sold dud car?

RedStix

Hi All

Hoping you can help me. My sister recently bought a second hand car from a garage in Tipperary. She had a trade in and they organised the Finance for her.

Two days after she took the car home, the clutch went on the car. Needless to say, she took it back to the garage and told them that the clutch had gone. They said no problem they'd sort it out for her.

They had the car for a week and she collected it on Friday. Seemed to be driving fine. Drove to Cork on Saturday, stayed in Cork on Saturday night, started the drive home on Sunday morning and the car conked out in Cork City. It would not re-start (and still won't start).

She and her husband had to get the car towed back to her friends house on the other side of Cork, which cost them €150. (It would have cost €500+ to get it towed back to Tipperary and they couldn't afford that).

So my question is, where does she stand? She's going back to the Garage tomorrow to talk with them about it but she now doesn't want the car as its seems to be too problematic. So should the garage take the car back off her or can they just insist that they'll fix it again? Also she wants them to cancel the Finance on it and just get them to give her back the old car she traded in. Finally, she wants them to cover the cost of having the car towed.

Anyone any idea where she stands. She just wants some general info before she goes back to the garage with all guns blazing.

Thanks
RedStix

Last edited:
I'm sorry I don't have any advice. i know it's a legal issue but I think if you asked to get the thread moved into the cars section, you would get plenty responses. I would however love to know where you purchased as my family and I purchase our cars in Tipperary, therfore would like to know who we should be avoiding. I'm not sure you can name the firm on site but you could mail me.

Do you know any cop that you could check with if the car was ever crashed?

I'm sorry I don't have any advice. i know it's a legal issue but I think if you asked to get the thread moved into the cars section, you would get plenty responses. I would however love to know where you purchased as my family and I purchase our cars in Tipperary, therfore would like to know who we should be avoiding. I'm not sure you can name the firm on site but you could mail me.

I can't see that the garage in question here has done anything wrong so far so i think it may be jumping the gun to assume you need to avoid them.

Redstix,

I think you will probably find that if the car is under warranty and they are offering to have the vehicle fixed in a 'reasonable' timeframe (though god knows what this may be), then there's not much chance of them taking it back. Cars go wrong, thats life and i'm sure the garage need not take responsibilty for the towing costs as they will more than likely say your sister should have breakdown cover etc.

Thanks for all your advice. I suppose her main problem is that she buys the car from them. Two days later the clutch goes, so she gets it repaired by them. Gets it back, two days later it conks out and now it won't start. So in the two weeks since she's bought the car, she's actually only had it for 4 days as the rest of the time its been back in the garage and now it won't even start. She trusted that the garage would sell her a good quality car (its a 2004 reg car) and its been nothing but hassle!!

Back