Solar quote - is this reasoable

onekeano

Just got a quote to get some solar pannelling installed and was wondering how this compared to what others have paid.....

"Supply-only of 1 x 3-Panel Solar Thermal System: €4,600.00 Ex VAT & Delivery.

or.......

Supply-only of 1 x 2-Panel Solar Thermal System: €3,800.00 Ex VAT & Delivery.

Prices include all equipment related to solar thermal installation, including solar panels, roof installation kit, double pump system, thermostats, digital controller, expansion vessel and glycol. Prices exclude piping and storage tank.

Alternatively, we can supply, install and commission a 2-panel system including 200L twin coil storage tank for: €6,800.00 Incl. Vat"

Any advice appreciated

Roy

You have to shop around: http://www.top50-solar.de/
A 200l tank is very small, unusual small so to say, 300l might meet a small household's warm water demand by a fraction but certainly not the demand for heating. Is this price proposal for domestic warm water or for heating combined with DHW ? Get some information before spending money : http://www.estif.org/
What are the provided figures saying about the savings in kWhs/a?

Thanks Heinbloed,

Check several of those websites but they seem quite technical (and German). House is about 1500 sq. ft - with 4 adults (allegedly!). Should the quote have made reference to savings in KVhs?

By the way has anyone else installed solar panels in an old(ish) house and if so were the successful / ball park price and any difficulties during or after insattaltion?

Thanks
Roy

Thanks for posting that quote onekeano, I'm sure it will be of interest to a lot of people since these grants have some in.

I suspect that the installation costs are going to increase (if they haven't already) to absorb any savings the government will give.

Still seems prohibitively expensive. We did a bit of research and it seems we also need planning permission to install solar panels on the roof. So we'd have to factor in the costs of that.

A pitty the government just didn't give away free insulation instead. Suppose that's not trendy enough.

To Onekeano: Check the "Top Solar " page again. At the home page you'll find a little box/window at the top left. There it says:"welcome". In English. Press it and a new page will open with plenty of suppliers based in GB and maybe in Ireland as well.
The first option to safe on energy must be .......saving on energy.Simple, by better insulation for example.
The second option must be to assess the remaining demand, expressed in kWh/a ( kilo Watt hours per annum, year) . With this number you would be able to decide what's worth it. Usually that is a better, more efficient heating system. Which could be a modulating condensing boiler or
a renewable source of energy like solar power.
But first: insulate!
It makes no sense to retrofit a heavy car with bicycle pedals.

It would be illegal by the SEI to run a list for clients to choose from, illegal in the term of competition. The horse had been saddled before the road was choosen. What SEI are proposing with their list is clearly against the EU legislations concerning the fair trade. According to our common EU law any company registered in Europe has to adhere to the same national/international regulations.
One company working for example from Poland can't be excluded to do a job in Ireland just because they aren't on a SEI list. Any product (tank/panel/tube) that adheres to EU legislations is legal to be sold here, excluding them from a market by giving the "home made" product/service an advantage/subsidy would be illegal.
On that base the list makes no sense, well , job creation for SEI and lawyers ..... Why has no one rebelled, told them?! Blindfolded by greed? What is the consumer affairs ombudsman saying? Buy Irish, buy expensive, our wheels are rounder- or what?
Edited for better understanding (grammar) by heinbloed.

A previous poster had installed some advertising material for his/her company. It was deleted, because of the anti advertising rule here on AAM I suppose.
When going for solar power or any heating system as such-please be sure that you understand the issue, what's involved, what additional costs are to be faced. It's not just the panels/evacuated tubes that need to be purchased, it's an entire heating system.
Before investing a single pence on what ever yet to you unknown product: get information first. Here is a web page with some info: http://www.estif.org/
Any supplier, being listed with SEI or not,that does not adhere to the set min. standards should be treated with care.

Is it accurate to say that for a similar size panel that the evacuated tubes are more efficient than the photovoltaic panels? I think I have been told this by SEI at a homes exhibition and on some web pages. In terms of cost though I don't have prices to say that the extra efficiency is justifiable in terms of probable extra cost. Like others I guess we all want to see some posters with actual solar experience if they are out there?

Lakeview said:
Like others I guess we all want to see some posters with actual solar experience if they are out there?

Exactly - I really did expect that on AAM in particular we'd have some experience of solar users. Come out come out wherever you are!

Roy

Back