Solar panels -to integrate or not

guzzler

Hi All,

Have checked for this issue but found no result

Putting 2 solar panels on the roof (natural slate, thanks to all that replied to that thread). It is south facing. All good so far but...

People seem to be divided on whether to integrate the solar panels (2) into the roof (like a velux window) or to just mount it onto the roof.

I like the integrated idea but as someone pointed out to me, what happens to the roof if the Solar panel needs to be replaced?

Appreciate any replies on this, and thanks again.

Fair point,
if for whatever reason, the solar panels don't work out, you can be left with a messy situ. also integrating them may leave opportunityies for leaks or heat loss.
If it was me & i've considered this in the past I would surface mount them.

get them put in like velux - supports from within the attic will be needed - but apart from anything else it looks smarter - this is however all dependent on the degree pitch of the roof which [open to correction - but not far off it needs to be no greater than 15/25 degree] other than that a frame which sits on the roof needs to e made up. If they need to be replaced they just pop it out like putting in a new window and badabing hey presto - life is good!

oirish

Sorry for hijacking this thread,

I am considering have a 3 panel system mounted on the roof. Has anyone any general idea of the labour cost I should expect to incur?