Solar Panels and Sliothars

Hurling Fan

Putting solar panels on our garage roof but a bit worried about all the sliothars that fly around the garden. How tough are solar panels or should we look at some additional protection. Thanks.

A hurling ball will smash the tubes. You should consider getting a protective grid installed. Talk to Glas in Kilkenny.They have installed protective grids in a housing development.

Love it Hurling Fan....spot on! A mesh like you would have over a window would be the right job, but make sure when you get them put up that the securing mechanism doesn't cause a leak or break the tiles!

Better still, move to Cavan. The boys around here can't lift the sliothar a foot off the ground

Presume I'm being wound up big time on this one - are there really people out there that would not want their kids outside playing sports! Maybe we should invest in some playstations and cement over the garden and ban them from going out completely.

Just to update this thread have been in touch with 2 suppliers. The first Ecoheat (our supplier) who haven't come across this one before and suggested a wooden frame with chicken wire - doesn't sound the best but in fairness to them this was their first response.

Then as suggested by a previous poster, I rang Glas (felt a bit cheeky but there ya go..). Anyway, they were very helpful and they had put a protective grid on previous solar panels. It was made of very fine steel and it was specially made for them and cost about Euro600 to make plus the fitting. Chatted with this guy and he suggested maybe it won't be a problem and maybe wait and see... tubes cost about Euro70 each. Now considering doing the latter and maybe trying to source soneone locally that would make a frame for me if needs be. The glas guy said the frames he had made didn't effect the efficiency of the panels.

Presume I'm being wound up big time on this one - are there really people out there that would not want their kids outside playing sports!
No - just that they should do it where they won't damage your solar panels. Seems a reasonable suggestion to me.

Unfortunately, our garden isn't that big and we are restricted where the solar panels can be placed i.e. it has to be a south facing roof. While they will not be using the panels for target practice, being realistic they are going to be placed on the garage which is beside the bit of garden where the kids will be playing so it is highly likely that the odd sliothar will hit the panels. So am trying to find some possible solutions in advance.

Presume I'm being wound up big time on this one - are there really people out there that would not want their kids outside playing sports! Maybe we should invest in some playstations and cement over the garden and ban them from going out completely.

I'm not winding you up, honest. And no, I agree, they should be out in the air as much as possible. But doing something safer.

That's why we use motorbikes - kids'n all