Solar Energy to heat whole house?

*rose

Just after finding out that it is possible to heat whole house by solar energy, not just the hot water. Just wondering has anyone any experience of this???? We don't actually know anyone who has it done.

We are building a 3000sq ft storey and a half. We are nearly ready to our the floors in a week or so so any advice would be appreciated!!

We would be thinking of backing it up using a condensed oil burner.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Were you told how much panels you would need for this? I would think alot to heat a house and water.

Hi, We have 8 sq mtrs and an 800 ltr tank in tank system, 200 ltrs DHW and 600 ltrs buffer storage. The solar is heating the tank of 800 lrs to 48-50 degrees C the past few days but was contributing very little during the winter when you need space heating. Will it contribute to space heating!!!!!!!!!

The problem I see is that the solar gain you get in winter months is low. You need to raise the heat in the tank to a higher temp for your space heating (underfloor is low temp alright) and the solar has to beat this to be of benefit which in my expereince so far it will not. I spoke with a plumber who has researched it and he says that solar does not justify the expense. Other forms of renewable are ok. I would think again before installing solar, as the amount one spends on DHW for the summer months, (when you have good solar gain) is not a big bill. Optimistic.

I've heard that the best way to heat your house with solar power is to grow an acre of ash trees and coppice them every 7 years, and burn the wood in a wood burning stove

That makes a lot of sense ... . .my Dad planted a forest on his land when he was a young fella and the wood from it has heated his livingroom in winter for about 30 years now!

Just after finding out that it is possible to heat whole house by solar energy,

Yes if you are building a passive house. No heating system bar maybe a small stove in the living area.

If it's too good to the true... heating your house using only pure solar all year round is like looking for a 12 month long skiing season, it can be done (snow machines etc) but it is expensive.

It will never be a primary heat source for a house but if running under floor heating then it may be possible to use some of that heat in your water tank to preheat the water prior to going to your boiler. All it would take would be a digital controller to use that heat first and then go to your boiler!

Some of the better companies on the SEI list will be able to provide the info.