Solar Controls

roker

I have moved into a house that has a solar heating system. There is a control panel that gives me the temperature of the panels and the hot water tank, I understand that if there is a significant difference in the temperature the pump will start and draw heat from the panels, what I cannot understand is, why there is a clock and timer? Why would I want to stop it drawing heat?

Hi Roker. Solar water heating systems generally work as you describe, circulating fluid from the panels to the hot water tank when there is a sufficient difference between the temperatures. By any chance are the clock and timer associated with an immersion heater that might also be fitted of your hot water tank?

There is an immersion but it doesn't seem to be connected to the controller, unless the timer is redundant?

Have someone who is experienced in solar systems have a look at it and show you how it works and how to control it. Money well spent as if something goes wrong tis more expensive.

Don't have solar heating/hot water but someone close by has it (and like you) they purchased the house with it installed. They contacted the previous owners who were only too happy to explain the system to them and as far as I know it works wonderfully with few issues. It might help you to do the same? Nothing to lose, everything to gain.

I have moved into a house that has a solar heating system. There is a control panel that gives me the temperature of the panels and the hot water tank, I understand that if there is a significant difference in the temperature the pump will start and draw heat from the panels, what I cannot understand is, why there is a clock and timer? Why would I want to stop it drawing heat?

Our last house had a hot water solar system. The panels ultimately heated one of three elements in the cylinder. The other elements were heated by gas and / or electricity (immersion).

Our current house has a PV (electricity only) based solar system. There are only two elements in the hot water tank, one which is heated by gas, and the other electricity. The PV system is smart enough to re-direct surplus power to the immersion.

Regardless of the type of system you have, my money is that the timer is for the immersion, rather than anything tied to the solar panels.

Back